Colin Rafferty writes: > Johannes Weinert writes: > > > I read an article of someone who had "Umlauts" in his real name. Lets > > say the name is "Max Schäfer". Then bbdb only recognizes the name "Max > > Sch". > > Unfortunately, I don't have a version of 20.2 to test with here. > However, there are two things that you can do to try to help me debug > this: > > First, please tell me where the mail-extr library is. If there is one > in your bbdb lisp directory, then you should remove it, restart Emacs, > and see if you still have the problem. The library mail-extr is the one shipped with emacs-20.2. > If you do have the problem, insert the following text in the *scratch* > buffer, and type C-j (control j) after it. Send back the results. > > (mail-extract-address-components "Max Schäfer ") Well, funny. I put this text via cut-and-paste in the scratch buffer and evaluated the expression as desired. The result was: ("Max Sch" "max@plank.org") But, if I startet another emacs (language-environment was not already set to "Latin-1", I execute the function in gnus-startup-hook), and pasted the text from scratch-buffer to it, a \201 showed up before the "ä". If I delete this, then mail-extract-address-components returns ("Max Schäfer" "max@plank.org") als desired. Otherwise it's the same as above. Well, I think, I should convince the system administrator to install emacs-20.3 (or the bad way: do it for myself - as suggested before). > > Thanks. Thank _you_ for your efforts. -- Hans