* Start with particular servers offline?
@ 2012-06-03  9:11 Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2012-06-03  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I'd like to keep a particular server in my select methods, but I only
want to connect to it when I explicitly say so.  Is there a way to keep
the server in the list, but have it start in offline or denied state?

Thanks,

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing

* Re: Start with particular servers offline?
@ 2012-06-03  9:44 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2012-06-03  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Abrahams; +Cc: ding

Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:

> I'd like to keep a particular server in my select methods, but I only
> want to connect to it when I explicitly say so.  Is there a way to keep
> the server in the list, but have it start in offline or denied state?

If all your groups on that server are in the unsubscribed state (level
6) then gnus won't try to open the server until you enter a group.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: Start with particular servers offline?
@ 2012-06-10 19:03 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-06-10 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Abrahams; +Cc: ding

Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:

> I'd like to keep a particular server in my select methods, but I only
> want to connect to it when I explicitly say so.  Is there a way to keep
> the server in the list, but have it start in offline or denied state?

Put something like this in your .gnus.el file:

(push '((nnimap "imap.gmail.com") denied) gnus-opened-servers)

* Re: Start with particular servers offline?
@ 2012-06-14 12:24   ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2012-06-14 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:
>
>> I'd like to keep a particular server in my select methods, but I only
>> want to connect to it when I explicitly say so.  Is there a way to keep
>> the server in the list, but have it start in offline or denied state?
>
> Put something like this in your .gnus.el file:
>
> (push '((nnimap "imap.gmail.com") denied) gnus-opened-servers)

I added that as the last line in my .gnus.el

It gives me two entries for the same server, with the 2nd one in the
'denied' state.

Robert

* Re: Start with particular servers offline?
@ 2012-06-14 14:08     ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2012-06-14 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
>> Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:
>>
>>> I'd like to keep a particular server in my select methods, but I only
>>> want to connect to it when I explicitly say so.  Is there a way to keep
>>> the server in the list, but have it start in offline or denied state?
>>
>> Put something like this in your .gnus.el file:
>>
>> (push '((nnimap "imap.gmail.com") denied) gnus-opened-servers)
>
> I added that as the last line in my .gnus.el
>
> It gives me two entries for the same server, with the 2nd one in the
> 'denied' state.
>
> Robert

Cant you get the smae thing with levels and/or running in unplugged mode
with that server not agentized? Or something like that ;)

* Re: Start with particular servers offline?
@ 2012-06-15  7:31       ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2012-06-15  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:

> Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:

>>> Put something like this in your .gnus.el file:
>>>
>>> (push '((nnimap "imap.gmail.com") denied) gnus-opened-servers)
>>
>> I added that as the last line in my .gnus.el
>>
>> It gives me two entries for the same server, with the 2nd one in the
>> 'denied' state.
>>
>> Robert
>>

> Cant you get the smae thing with levels and/or running in unplugged mode
> with that server not agentized? Or something like that ;)

Perhaps, but putting all the groups from the server I want to stay
offline at a higher level feels hacky, and I don't use the agent.

Being able to set something like (server-startup-state denied) in the
server entry would be ideal, now if only someone would implement that :)

Robert

* Re: Start with particular servers offline?
@ 2012-06-15 11:53         ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2012-06-15 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

>>> I added that as the last line in my .gnus.el
>>>
>>> It gives me two entries for the same server, with the 2nd one in the
>>> 'denied' state.
>>>
>>> Robert
>>>

>> Cant you get the smae thing with levels and/or running in unplugged mode
>> with that server not agentized? Or something like that ;)
>
> Perhaps, but putting all the groups from the server I want to stay
> offline at a higher level feels hacky, and I don't use the agent.

I would disagree with that. You dont want it opened as default,
therefore, for me, it is at a different level.

> Being able to set something like (server-startup-state denied) in the
> server entry would be ideal, now if only someone would implement that
> :)

I assume from Lars' comment above that it has been implemented but maybe
just doesn't work ;)

@ 2012-06-15 12:55           ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2012-06-15 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:

> Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Cant you get the smae thing with levels and/or running in unplugged mode
>>> with that server not agentized? Or something like that ;)
>>
>> Perhaps, but putting all the groups from the server I want to stay
>> offline at a higher level feels hacky, and I don't use the agent.
>
> I would disagree with that. You dont want it opened as default,
> therefore, for me, it is at a different level.

Perhaps, but if I understand the proposal, I'd need to put those groups
as 'unsubscribed', so they wouldn't show up at all even if I were
connected to that server unless I did 6-L (and then they'd be prefixed
with 'U').

>> Being able to set something like (server-startup-state denied) in the
>> server entry would be ideal, now if only someone would implement that
>> :)
>
> I assume from Lars' comment above that it has been implemented but maybe
> just doesn't work ;)

I think it's an ordering issue. The servers are added to
gnu-opened-servers after .gnus.el has been read, so gnus doesn't know
you want a particular one to be denied.

Robert

* Re: Start with particular servers offline?
@ 2012-06-15 15:28             ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2012-06-15 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:
>> Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> I would disagree with that. You dont want it opened as default,
>> therefore, for me, it is at a different level.
>>

> Perhaps, but if I understand the proposal, I'd need to put those groups
> as 'unsubscribed', so they wouldn't show up at all even if I were
> connected to that server unless I did 6-L (and then they'd be prefixed
> with 'U').

And having just tried it, it doesn't work: I still get prompted for my
imap password on startup, even though all the groups on that server are
unsubscribed.

Robert

* Re: Start with particular servers offline?
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-06-20 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

>> (push '((nnimap "imap.gmail.com") denied) gnus-opened-servers)
>
> I added that as the last line in my .gnus.el
>
> It gives me two entries for the same server, with the 2nd one in the
> 'denied' state.

Well, use the real server definition you use instead of whatever I wrote
up there instead.  :-)

* Re: Start with particular servers offline?
@ 2012-06-22 14:45       ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2012-06-22 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> (push '((nnimap "imap.gmail.com") denied) gnus-opened-servers)
>>
>> I added that as the last line in my .gnus.el
>>
>> It gives me two entries for the same server, with the 2nd one in the
>> 'denied' state.
>
> Well, use the real server definition you use instead of whatever I wrote
> up there instead.  :-)

I did :-)

 gnus-secondary-select-methods
 '(
   (nnimap "mycorp"
   	   (nnimap-address "email.mycorp.com")
   	   (nnimap-server-port 993)
   	   (nnimap-expunge t)
   	   (nnir-search-engine imap)))

(push '((nnimap "mycorp") denied) gnus-opened-servers)

Robert

* Re: Start with particular servers offline?
@ 2012-09-05 13:51         ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-09-05 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

>  gnus-secondary-select-methods
>  '(
>    (nnimap "mycorp"
>    	   (nnimap-address "email.mycorp.com")
>    	   (nnimap-server-port 993)
>    	   (nnimap-expunge t)
>    	   (nnir-search-engine imap)))
>
> (push '((nnimap "mycorp") denied) gnus-opened-servers)

Yeah, you probably have to have the entire thing in there, and not just
the name.

  http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no  *  Sent from my Emacs