* %f in g-s-mode-line-format sometimes shows blank address
@ 1999-01-19 21:53 Istvan Marko
From: Istvan Marko @ 1999-01-19 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Using %f in gnus-summary-mode-line-format the name/address field shows
up as blank when the From: address is in the following format:

<user@company.com>

(Note that there is no full name even though the <...> form is used.)

When I use %n instead of %f all looks fine.

I understand that the address format above is somewhat broken, but I
am wondering why does it work with %n and not with %f...

--
	Istvan

* Re: %f in g-s-mode-line-format sometimes shows blank address
@ 1999-01-19 23:53 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-01-19 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Istvan Marko <imarko@pacificnet.net> writes:

> <user@company.com>
>
> (Note that there is no full name even though the <...> form is used.)
>
> When I use %n instead of %f all looks fine.
>
> I understand that the address format above is somewhat broken, but I
> am wondering why does it work with %n and not with %f...

For reasons of efficiency, both functions guess at what the name of
the poster is, and the one function guesses differently than the other.

* Re: %f in g-s-mode-line-format sometimes shows blank address
@ 1999-01-20  3:20   ` Istvan Marko
From: Istvan Marko @ 1999-01-20  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Istvan Marko <imarko@pacificnet.net> writes:
>
> > <user@company.com>
> >
> > (Note that there is no full name even though the <...> form is used.)
> >
> > When I use %n instead of %f all looks fine.
> >
> > I understand that the address format above is somewhat broken, but I
> > am wondering why does it work with %n and not with %f...
>
> For reasons of efficiency, both functions guess at what the name of
> the poster is, and the one function guesses differently than the other.

Would it be safe to use to use gnus-tmp-name in
gnus-summary-from-or-to-or-newsgroups?

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-01-20  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Istvan Marko <imarko@pacificnet.net> writes:

> Would it be safe to use to use gnus-tmp-name in
> gnus-summary-from-or-to-or-newsgroups?

I think so.