* fetching mail for multiple servers
@ 2000-06-20  9:36 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-06-20  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Right now, the algorithm for fetching mail is to go through all
servers in order.  For each server, check if it gets mail.  If so,
fetch mail from mail-sources and split it according to
nnmail-split-methods.

This means if there are two servers that get mail, Gnus fetches mail
for both of them but when processing the second one, no new mail is
left.

I suggest to add the following backward-compatible feature to Gnus:
when fetching mail for a server, look at server parameters
mail-sources and nnmail-split-methods.  If the server parameter is
set, use it, else use the value of the global variable instead.

This means that people could do something like this:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnml "work"
         (nnml-directory "~/workmail/")
         (mail-sources '((pop :server "work.pop.server"))))
        (nnml "play"
         (nnml-directory "~/privatemail/")
         (mail-sources '((pop :server "private.pop.server"))))))

Mail from work.pop.server ends up in nnml+work:mail.misc and mail from
private.pop.server ends up in nnml+play:mail.misc.

Does this sound useful?

kai

PS: Maybe we need a setting for the server parameters which means
    `really use nil and don't look at the global variable'.  Maybe
    `none' would be a good value for this.
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: fetching mail for multiple servers
@ 2000-06-20 10:24 ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-06-20 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Right now, the algorithm for fetching mail is to go through all
> servers in order.  For each server, check if it gets mail.  If so,
> fetch mail from mail-sources and split it according to
> nnmail-split-methods.
>
> This means if there are two servers that get mail, Gnus fetches mail
> for both of them but when processing the second one, no new mail is
> left.
>
> I suggest to add the following backward-compatible feature to Gnus:
> when fetching mail for a server, look at server parameters
> mail-sources and nnmail-split-methods.  If the server parameter is
> set, use it, else use the value of the global variable instead.
>
> This means that people could do something like this:
>
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>       '((nnml "work"
>          (nnml-directory "~/workmail/")
>          (mail-sources '((pop :server "work.pop.server"))))
>         (nnml "play"
>          (nnml-directory "~/privatemail/")
>          (mail-sources '((pop :server "private.pop.server"))))))

That looks very useful.  Its not clear from your post though, as to
what will happen with the splitting.  Is it possible to make this
works so that each server can have its own split code too?

* Re: fetching mail for multiple servers
@ 2000-06-20 12:12   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-06-20 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
> > Right now, the algorithm for fetching mail is to go through all
> > servers in order.  For each server, check if it gets mail.  If so,
> > fetch mail from mail-sources and split it according to
> > nnmail-split-methods.
> >
> > This means if there are two servers that get mail, Gnus fetches mail
> > for both of them but when processing the second one, no new mail is
> > left.
> >
> > I suggest to add the following backward-compatible feature to Gnus:
> > when fetching mail for a server, look at server parameters
> > mail-sources and nnmail-split-methods.  If the server parameter is
> > set, use it, else use the value of the global variable instead.
> >
> > This means that people could do something like this:
> >
> > (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
> >       '((nnml "work"
> >          (nnml-directory "~/workmail/")
> >          (mail-sources '((pop :server "work.pop.server"))))
> >         (nnml "play"
> >          (nnml-directory "~/privatemail/")
> >          (mail-sources '((pop :server "private.pop.server"))))))
> >

> That looks very useful.  Its not clear from your post though, as to
> what will happen with the splitting.  Is it possible to make this
> works so that each server can have its own split code too?

That's what I meant.  Like so:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnml "work"
         (nnml-directory "~/workmail/")
         (nnmail-split-methods '(("" "mail.foo")))
         (mail-sources '((pop :server "work.pop.server"))))
        (nnml "play"
         (nnml-directory "~/privatemail/")
         (nnmail-split-methods '(("" "mail.bar")))
         (mail-sources '((pop :server "private.pop.server"))))))

Here, all mail from work.pop.server will go to nnml+work:mail.foo,
whereas mail from private.pop.server will go to nnml+play:mail.bar.

Coming to think of it, it might be necessary to also allow
nnmail-split-fancy as server parameter, too.

kai
--

@ 2000-06-20 13:23     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-06-20 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > That looks very useful.  Its not clear from your post though, as to
> > what will happen with the splitting.  Is it possible to make this
> > works so that each server can have its own split code too?
>
> That's what I meant.  Like so:
>
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>       '((nnml "work"
>          (nnml-directory "~/workmail/")
>          (nnmail-split-methods '(("" "mail.foo")))
>          (mail-sources '((pop :server "work.pop.server"))))
>         (nnml "play"
>          (nnml-directory "~/privatemail/")
>          (nnmail-split-methods '(("" "mail.bar")))
>          (mail-sources '((pop :server "private.pop.server"))))))
>
> Here, all mail from work.pop.server will go to nnml+work:mail.foo,
> whereas mail from private.pop.server will go to nnml+play:mail.bar.
>
> Coming to think of it, it might be necessary to also allow
> nnmail-split-fancy as server parameter, too.

Oh-boy, that would be cool to the max.. Not as ultimately cool as nnir
was but still significant coolness....   he he.

Probably would require that split-fancy be allowed too.

While were on nnml-split-fancy  .. Is it really required for the code
you wrote concerning splitting conversations?

on ding list.

Code now included in gnus I think..

That it, can it be used with normal splitting in force?

* Re: fetching mail for multiple servers
@ 2000-06-20 13:55     ` Bjørn Mork
From: Bjørn Mork @ 2000-06-20 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

> That's what I meant.  Like so:
>
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>       '((nnml "work"
>          (nnml-directory "~/workmail/")
>          (nnmail-split-methods '(("" "mail.foo")))
>          (mail-sources '((pop :server "work.pop.server"))))
>         (nnml "play"
>          (nnml-directory "~/privatemail/")
>          (nnmail-split-methods '(("" "mail.bar")))
>          (mail-sources '((pop :server "private.pop.server"))))))
>
> Here, all mail from work.pop.server will go to nnml+work:mail.foo,
> whereas mail from private.pop.server will go to nnml+play:mail.bar.
>
> Coming to think of it, it might be necessary to also allow
> nnmail-split-fancy as server parameter, too.

Something similar would also be useful for nnimap.

I was a bit surprised when my work mail was split according to my home
mail splitting rules a few months ago, although I probably shouldn't
have been. Solved it by doing server based splitting on both imap
servers, but I don't think that's always an option(?)

Bjørn

* Re: fetching mail for multiple servers
@ 2000-06-20 16:35       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-06-20 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> While were on nnml-split-fancy  .. Is it really required for the code
> you wrote concerning splitting conversations?

I think it is also possible to use it in conjunction with simple
splitting, but it requires a little extra Lisp.  Somebody told me they
did this, but I lost the message I think.

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Conversation Splitting (Was: fetching mail for multiple servers)
@ 2000-06-21 13:27       ` Arnd Kohrs
From: Arnd Kohrs @ 2000-06-21 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Harry> Coming to think of it, it might be necessary to also allow
    Harry> nnmail-split-fancy as server parameter, too.

I use ¨conversation splitting¨ in combination with group splitting with
the following settings:

(setq nnmail-crosspost nil)
(setq nnmail-split-methods 'gnus-group-split)
(setq gnus-group-split-default-catch-all-group
      '(| (: nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent)
          "mail.misc"))

Of course, no other group should be configured with 'catch-all' !
First, messages are split into mailing lists, then into conversations
and if that didn't work they end up in my default box.

Other fancy splits may be defined in this default rule.  IMO, it
shouldn't be hard to write a function that rewrites old-style splitting
rules into fancy splits - on the other hand it is also not hard to do it
manually:

;; old style
((r1 g1)
 (rn gn)
 default)

becomes

;; fancy
(| (any r1 g1)
   (any rn gn)
   default)

(The seemingly complex nature of fancy-splits scared me a long time away
from converting to fancy splitting)

Arnd

--
The Active WebMuseum: Your personalized access to art paintings.
 Visit now ->  http://www.eurecom.fr/~kohrs/museum.html