* Message/Mailcrypt fix, etc.
@ 1996-04-24 18:09 Anil B. Somayaji
From: Anil B. Somayaji @ 1996-04-24 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello everyone!  Well, I finally managed to upgrade to sgnus-0.78 from
gnus-5.0.15 - definitely a change for the better!  (Thank you Lars and
everyone else!)

However, in doing so I found that much of my old setup broke, and
while fixing things I came across a few annoyances.  I've tried
keeping track of things said on the list, but I may be repeating
things that other people have said - if so, sorry for the repetition.
In any case, here's what I encountered:

 * Mailcrypt 3.4 doesn't know about message mode

Mailcrypt doesn't know about message mode, so when trying to sign a
message, it doesn't manage to exclude the header.  This can be fixed
by adding:

  (message-mode (encrypt . mc-encrypt-message)
                (sign . mc-sign-message))

to the mc-modes-alist variable declared in mailcrypt.el.

Also, in order for Mailcrypt to be enabled by default in message mode,
you need to add a

  (add-hook 'message-setup-hook 'mc-install-write-mode)

to the mailcrypt initialization code in your .emacs file.  (This was
easy to figure out, but it could also go in the sgnus FAQ until
Mailcrypt gets updated.)

 * gnus-mail-self-blind doesn't exist!

I looked for it in the source - it isn't there!  But it is in the
documentation.  Now, you can of course get the same effect by setting
message-default-mail-headers, but I wouldn't mind it if the variable
made a reappearance.

 * no variable to customize the signature separator

This is something I had to fix manually before, but it would be cool
if sgnus had a variable for it.  In message-insert-signature, defined
in message.el, a "\n\n-- \n" is inserted just before the signature.
Now, if you use PGP, these two dashes become "- --" after a message is
signed - most annoying.  I simply went in and changed this to "\n", so
now my signature doesn't look quite so funny.

 * no explicit documentation on eliminating the "Gcc" header

The fact that setting gnus-message-archive-group to nil eliminates the
Gcc headers from messages isn't indicated in the "Archived Messages"
part of the info page.  If you prefer to manage your message drafts in
other ways, this is something nice to know.

I think that's it.  Now, back to enjoying sgnus!

 --Anil

 Anil Somayaji                       soma@cs.unm.edu
 (505)883-3881                       http://www.cs.unm.edu/~soma

* Re: Message/Mailcrypt fix, etc.
@ 1996-04-24 21:47 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-04-24 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

soma@cs.unm.edu (Anil B. Somayaji) writes:

>  * gnus-mail-self-blind doesn't exist!
>
> I looked for it in the source - it isn't there!  But it is in the
> documentation.

I've now updated the manual.

>  * no variable to customize the signature separator

This is a feature.  RFC1036rfc says that the signature separator
should be "\n-- \n" and nothing else.

> This is something I had to fix manually before, but it would be cool
> if sgnus had a variable for it.  In message-insert-signature, defined
> in message.el, a "\n\n-- \n" is inserted just before the signature.
> Now, if you use PGP, these two dashes become "- --" after a message is
> signed - most annoying.  I simply went in and changed this to "\n", so
> now my signature doesn't look quite so funny.

Just add `gnus-article-hide-pgp' to `gnus-article-display-hook' and
all the PGPey stuff will disappear.  I have seen some people put their
signature after the PGP stuff, which will also help with the "- --"
situation.

>  * no explicit documentation on eliminating the "Gcc" header

I'll be adding that to the next version.

* Re: Message/Mailcrypt fix, etc.
@ 1996-04-25  0:23   ` Anil B. Somayaji
From: Anil B. Somayaji @ 1996-04-25  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding