From: Joe Wells <jbw@cs.bu.edu>
Subject: article series (was: yet more Gnus questions & problems)
Date: 18 Jun 1996 19:21:31 -0400	[thread overview]

  >> Suppose I want to fetch 5 series, each containing 25 articles.
  >> Following your advice, I should either type "X u" five times (once
  >> for each series) or mark all 125 articles and then type "X u"?  The
  >> first method does not let me take a coffee break while Gnus is
  >> processing and the second requires me to mark lots of articles and
  >> fails if I miss one of them.
  >>
  >> I would like to just mark 1 article from each series and type "X u"
  >> once and have Gnus figure out which other articles need to be
  >> fetched.

  Lars> DO an `M P S' before `X u' to mark have Gnus process-mark all
  Lars> series (in correct order) that have some articles process-marked.

Thanks for telling me how to do this.

I think this action (the result of "M P S") should be done automatically
by "X u".  What good is it to try to uudecode one fragment of each series?

  Lars> Yup.  Foreign groups aren't kept in the killed list.  It's a
  Lars> feature.  :-) No, really.

  >>  I'm confused by why you say this is a feature.  If I kill a mail
  >> group with "C-k", why shouldn't I be able to look at it with "A k"?

  Lars> I know I had a very good reason for doing this, but I can't quite
  Lars> remember it now.  Hm.  I think it had something to do with, uhm,
  Lars> group creation and killed list stability.  Yes, that might have
  Lars> been it.  If you don't save the killed list, it's re-created by
  Lars> looking at all active groups and subtracting the (un)subscribed
  Lars> groups.  And that would be inconsistant with having (some) killed
  Lars> foreign groups in the list of killed groups.  Or something.

I read the above paragraph several times and it still doesn't make any
sense to me.  What does your reasoning have to do with whether to save
killed mail groups so that they can be inspected with "A k"?

--
Joe Wells <jbw@cs.bu.edu>