From: Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Multi-SMTP
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 18:58:29 +0000	[thread overview]

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

>>> No idea.  I manage this by posting styles based on folders and splitting
>>> of emails to end up in the right folders.  If I get an email in a "work"
>>> folder, say, that I want to respond as a "personal" email, I manually
>>> move the original mail to a suitable folder and then respond.  Not ideal
>>> but it works...
>>
>> Can you explain in more detail about why you would want smtp based on to
>> address as additional functionality? smtp is about sending so its clear
>
> because, for some recipients, I would like my emails to come from a
> specific account and not another.  e.g. personal mailing lists that have
> nothing to do with work.
>
>> that from address/group drives this in the *normal* situation :
>> especially since some smtp services wont allow a different from address
>> to the account authorized user (gmail for example). I wonder if the
>
> yes, of course, so the from address would need to be appropriately set
> to be consistent with the smtp server used.

Sure, I was just suggesting that this can be done by splitting on email
address and then using the gnus posting styles which are, to my
understanding and usage patterns, based on group name. So if smtp
selection is done there then you would automatically have this
functionality - ie *if* that was enough there  would be
nothing more to implement if posting styles where used to set the index
into the auth source files. I guess I was just waving a flag to say
posting styles are where it would seem appropriate to select the smtp
"token" - possibly even over group parameters which I tend to find a
little "hidden" as opposed to have all control done in the one place ie
smtp, sig, agent etc set in the relevant posting styles and of course
defaulting to the base "match all" posting style.

cheers

r.