* killing subthread
@ 2001-08-09 14:47 Dirk Meyer
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Dirk Meyer @ 2001-08-09 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I have a problem killing subthreads. E.g. I have a thread like this:

[ article ]
  [ article 1 ]
    [ article 1.1 ]
  [ article 2 ]
    [ article 2.1 ]

When I read the top article and reenter the group, the thread looks
like this:

[ article 1 ]
  [ article 1.1 ]
  < article 2 >
    [ article 2.1 ]

That's what I want: one thread containing all loose threads. Now I read
article 1 and think: "off topic", I don't want to read this
subthread. How can I kill the subthread 1 without killing subthread 2?
When I invoke gnus-summary-kill-thread all articles are killed.

I want to mark the article 1 as killed and all articles from this
subthread as killed (or read) and then I use adaptive scoring to make
sure I don't read anything from this subthread again. But I want all
articles from subthread 2 marked as unread.

Dirk

--
Time is a drug.  Too much of it kills you.
  -- in Small Gods (Terry Pratchett)

* Re: killing subthread
@ 2001-08-17 16:42 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-08-17 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dirk Meyer <dmeyer@tzi.de> writes:

> That's what I want: one thread containing all loose threads. Now I read
> article 1 and think: "off topic", I don't want to read this
> subthread. How can I kill the subthread 1 without killing subthread 2?

There is no pre-defined functionality in Gnus for doing this.

Perhaps there should be a separate command that worked on strict
threads...

* Re: killing subthread
@ 2001-08-17 17:20 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-08-17 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Dirk Meyer <dmeyer@tzi.de> writes:

> When I read the top article and reenter the group, the thread looks
> like this:
>
> [ article 1 ]
>   [ article 1.1 ]
>   < article 2 >
>     [ article 2.1 ]
>
> That's what I want: one thread containing all loose threads. Now I read
> article 1 and think: "off topic", I don't want to read this
> subthread. How can I kill the subthread 1 without killing subthread 2?
> When I invoke gnus-summary-kill-thread all articles are killed.

Does it work if you tell Gnus to insert an empty dummy article for the
thread root?

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

* Re: killing subthread
@ 2001-08-17 18:01 ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2001-08-17 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dirk Meyer <dmeyer@tzi.de> writes:

> [ article 1 ]
>   [ article 1.1 ]
>   < article 2 >
>     [ article 2.1 ]

I suggest using one or both of the below, this will make article 1 and
article 2 be siblings by creating an old or empty common root article.

(setq gnus-fetch-old-headers 1000.0)
(setq gnus-build-sparse-threads 'some)