From: Han Pilmeyer <han@uto.dec.com>
Cc: ding@ifi.uio.no
Subject: Re: Time taken for nnvirtual..
Date: 24 Sep 1996 07:35:18 +0200	[thread overview]

Lars> Andy Eskilsson <flognat@fukt.hk-r.se> writes:

>> Ok. I press space on that nnvirtual group.. tumdedumm. wait for a long
>> while, fires up a slave reads the groups one by one with normal
>> reading, and are finished *before* the nnvirtual group is finished
>> with it's 'nntp-reading'.

Lars> This sounds odd.  nnvirtual is slow, but not *that* slow.  For
Lars> instance, I have the ~10 Emacs groups gathered in one virtual group.
Lars> It uses ~2 seconds to scan the group.  Entering the group doesn't take
Lars> much time...

I've noticed the same thing. I only have a 3 or 4 groups in my virtual
group and they are rather small too, but it's still quicker to enter
and read the individual groups than it is to enter the virtual
group. In fact this is what's keeping me from creating a few more
virtual groups.

Cheers.
--
Han Pilmeyer, han@uto.dec.com, Phone: +31 30 2832671, FAX: +31 30 2832686
Digital Equipment B.V., Europalaan 44, 3526 KS Utrecht, The Netherlands