From: bmiller@cs.umn.edu (Brad Miller)
Subject: Re: GroupLens: gnus-gl.el
Date: 14 Feb 1996 21:53:13 -0600	[thread overview]

>>>>> "Lance" == Lance A Brown <labrown@dg-rtp.dg.com> writes:

Lance> Grouplens looks cool, but I don't like how it works right now for two
Lance> reasons.

Lance> 1.  I want to have MY scores to show up all the time and ITS scores to
Lance>     only  show up when I'm reading a group it supports.  This means
Lance>     that I need to have September Gnus run both the
Lance>     gnus-score-find-bnews function and the Grouplens score function.

For a non GroupLens group, the bbb-build-mid-scores-alist just returns
nil, so there is really hardly any overhead, other than a call to member
when you are reading a non-GroupLens group.

But are you saying that you would like to have two of scores show
up for GroupLens groups?  the score based on your SCORE files, and the
prediction from the Better Bit Bureau?

Lance> 2.  I've tried messing with the gnus-summary-line-format variable in
Lance>     the gnus-select-group-hook so that the Grouplens scores are only
Lance>     displayed when reading groups Grouplens supports but the
Lance>     pre-compilation of the format specs appears to be getting in the
Lance>     way.

I implemented the GroupLens interface to take advantage of the gnus
scoring code, because it was easy, and I didn't think that people would
want to see two scores for one message.  If the consensus is to keep
GroupLens scores separate from gnus scores, I can do that.

If the problem is in the way that scores are displayed for non-GroupLens
groups, I'm sure I can fix up the user format function to do the right
thing.  You don't need to use my user format function, the regular %i,
%z will show the score too.  Although you may want to mess with the
offset and scale variables to make the GroupLens scores be something
other than 1-5

\Brad
Brad Miller                    | e-mail: bmiller@cs.umn.edu
University of Minnesota        | phone:  (612) 626-8396
Department of Computer Science | www:    http://www.cs.umn.edu/~bmiller
EE/CS 5-244                    |