From: pp@pfawww.pp.se (Per Persson)
Subject: Re: Strange memory hog^H^H^Hbehaviour with v0.30.
Date: 13 Feb 1996 22:17:55 +0100	[thread overview]

Steven L Baur <steve@miranova.com> writes:

>Gnus virtual memory usage has been terrible (for me) with all versions
>after v0.26, on both XEmacs 19.13 and Emacs 19.30.  I'm starting to
>get better behavior from XEmacs with the most recent versions (it
>grows to the unusable stage a bit slower).  This eliminates the only
>thing I liked about running Gnus on GNU Emacs.

It's the same thing for me, I use gnus because I get both mail and
news from the same memory cost... I though. Is older version of
september gnus archived somewhere?

>Do you have 19.30 compiled to take advantage of the new mmapped malloc
>on Linux?  I had hoped that along with the rewritten scheduler for the
>1.3 kernels would clear up the thrashing that the 1.2.13 kernel so
>readily goes into.

Actually, I don't know how I would take that advantage. I didn't like
Linux at all when I started working at Bahnhof and the machine I just
started to use had SlackWare installed on it so I just upgraded the
kernel to one with a swap daemon (1.3.57) and I haven't played around
much more with... just installed emacs-19.30 and gcc-2.7 (and 2.6.3)
and screen and all the elisp code I want to use. I don't ever run X as
I find it to be yet another unwanted memory hog, I do much better
without netrape and other such things. (I guess I'm ranting now).

The problems are similar on both Solaris and Linux so it isn't OS
dependent anyway.

/pp.