From: pp@pfawww.pp.se (Per Persson)
Cc: ding@ifi.uio.no
Subject: Re: Strange memory hog^H^H^Hbehaviour with v0.30.
Date: 15 Feb 1996 13:31:26 +0100	[thread overview]

larsi@ifi.uio.no (Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen) writes:

>I've seen some memory-hoggish behavior once in a while, but I have
>been totally unable to pin-point what's going on.  I even hacked into
>the Emacs sources to get a trace of memory allocations, but that
>didn't yield any useful results.

I've 'tracked down' the memory hog I've encountered. In releases
previous to v0.27 you would, eventually, see the same thing but with
v0.27 and after you're bound to hit the roof right away.

What causes this? Reading mail does. When you get new mail ALL
mailfolders will be read into emacs for some weirdo reason...  My
mailfolders are mighty big. They never get killed either so I have to
kill them by hand.

I think a little 'gnus-nnfolder-kill-folder-after-use' would come in
handy for people with less then 1GB RAM memory. I don't notice any big
difference in CPU cycles or wasted time if I kill all buffers by hand
and let gnus reread them when I need to have them.

Please mail the 'bug' patch to me as I can't upgrade to anything after
v0.30 yet. I still get the same weird mail lossage in anything after
v0.31. I'm sorry I don't have time to fix this myself but I just have
to much damn work. :I

--
anum meum aperies, asperge me spermate tuo et inquinabor
url; http://pfawww.pp.se/~pp/   email; <pp@pfawww.pp.se>