* nnml-directory not customizable (was: nnrss seems to have alternative handling switched)
       [not found] ` <17279.1134762638@olgas.newt.com>
@ 2005-12-16 23:27   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-12-16 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bugs, ding

On Fri, Dec 16 2005, Bill Wohler wrote:

[ I don't use RSS, but hopefully others will jump in.  Maybe ask
  again on ding@gnus.org if nobody answers. ]

> By the way, how come nnml-directory isn't customizable? I have moved
> nearly my entire Gnus settings to customize except for that option.

`nnml-directory' is a server variable:

,----[ <f1> v nnml-directory RET ]
| nnml-directory is a variable defined in `nnml.el'. [...]
|
| Documentation:
| Spool directory for the nnml mail backend.
|
| This is a Gnus server variable.  See Info node `(gnus)Select Methods'.
`----

You may customize `gnus-secondary-select-methods' though.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: nnml-directory not customizable
@ 2005-12-19 20:39     ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2005-12-19 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <reinersteib+from-uce@imap.cc> wrote:

> > By the way, how come nnml-directory isn't customizable? I have moved
> > nearly my entire Gnus settings to customize except for that option.
>
> `nnml-directory' is a server variable:

OK, now I get it. But there's a catch. I'd like to have something like
the following in my customize-set-variables stanza:

  '(gnus-secondary-select-methods (quote ((nnml "" (nnml-directory (expand-file-name "lists" message-directory))))))
  '(message-directory "~/var/mail/")

However, I'm getting the following messages:

  Opening nnml server...
  Unable to open server due to: Wrong type argument: stringp, (expand-file-n...
  Opening nnml server...failed

It would be nice not to have to hard-code the path to the nnml-directory
in the secondary select method so I only have to modify
message-directory if my directory changes.

Any thoughts?

Is the ability to have arbitrary forms as a server variable value a
feature request? If so, the evaluation of the above form would have to
happen *after* custom-set-variables is done so that it gets the correct
value of message-directory.

* Re: nnrss seems to have alternative handling switched
@ 2005-12-19 20:44     ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2005-12-19 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <reinersteib+from-uce@imap.cc> wrote:

> [ I don't use RSS, but hopefully others will jump in.  Maybe ask
>   again on ding@gnus.org if nobody answers. ]

OK, will do.

[-- Attachment #2: 10701 --]
[-- Type: message/rfc822, Size: 6556 bytes --]

From: Bill Wohler <wohler@olgas.newt.com>
To: bugs@gnus.org (The Gnus Bugfixing Girls + Boys)
Subject: nnrss seems to have alternative handling switched
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 10:32:22 -0800

Gnus v5.11
GNU Emacs 22.0.50.8 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.6.10)
 of 2005-12-14 on olgas

I just started reading RSS via Gnus. Nice stuff. However, Gnus seems to
have the Content-Types of its alternatives switched. (I'm guessing that
Gnus generates a multipart/alternative body based upon the appearance of
this Content-Type header field when entering `t'. However `t' doesn't
show the MIME body parts, so it's a bit confusing.)

When I view the text/plain alternative (I think--I've added text/html to
mm-discouraged-alternatives), the lines aren't folded and I can see HTML
tags. When I remove text/html from mm-discouraged-alternatives, then I
get the text/html alternative (I think) and see what should be a
text/plain alternative (text is folded, and I don't see HTML, nor
links).

Let me know if there is any more information I can provide that would
help. Thanks.

I'm using Gnus from CVS Emacs as of 2005-12-14.

<#part type=application/emacs-lisp disposition=inline description="User settings">
------------------ Environment follows ------------------

(setq gnus-directory "~/var/news")
(setq gnus-default-nntp-server "")
(setq gnus-message-archive-method
      '(nnmh "archive"
	     (nnmh-directory "~/var/mail/out")
	     (nnmh-get-new-mail nil)))
(setq gnus-message-archive-group "")
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnml "")))
(setq gnus-large-newsgroup 400)
(setq gnus-kill-files-directory "~/var/news/")
(setq gnus-interactive-catchup nil)
(setq gnus-interactive-exit nil)
(setq gnus-updated-mode-lines
      '(group summary tree))
(setq gnus-thread-hide-subtree t)
(setq gnus-thread-sort-functions
      '(gnus-thread-sort-by-number gnus-thread-sort-by-total-score))
(setq gnus-thread-expunge-below 500)
(setq gnus-summary-mode-hook
      '(gnus-agent-mode bw-gnus-summary-mode-hook))
(setq gnus-orphan-score -500)
(setq gnus-group-sort-function
      '(gnus-group-sort-by-alphabet gnus-group-sort-by-rank))
(setq gnus-group-line-format "%M%S%p%L%P%5y: %(%g%)%l\n")
(setq gnus-exit-gnus-hook
      '(mm-destroy-postponed-undisplay-list))
(setq gnus-visible-headers
      '("^From:" "^Subject:" "^Organization:" "^Newsgroups:" "^Date:"))
(setq gnus-default-article-saver 'gnus-summary-write-to-file)
(setq gnus-read-active-file nil)
(setq gnus-read-newsrc-file nil)
(setq gnus-save-newsrc-file nil)
(setq gnus-save-killed-list nil)
(setq gnus-startup-hook
      '((lambda nil
	  (require 'bw-gnus))))
(setq gnus-before-startup-hook
      '((lambda nil
	  (require 'bw-gnus))))
(setq gnus-setup-news-hook
      '(gnus-agent-queue-setup gnus-fixup-nnimap-unread-after-getting-new-news))
(setq gnus-group-mode-hook
      '(gnus-agent-mode))
(setq gnus-score-expiry-days 60)
(setq gnus-buffer-configuration
      '((article
	 (vertical 1.0
		   (summary 4 point)
		   (article 1.0)))
	(group
	 (vertical 1.0
		   (group 1.0 point)
		   (if gnus-carpal
		       '(group-carpal 4))))
	(summary
	 (vertical 1.0
		   (summary 1.0 point)
		   (if gnus-carpal
		       '(summary-carpal 4))))
	(server
	 (vertical 1.0
		   (server 1.0 point)
		   (if gnus-carpal
		       '(server-carpal 2))))
	(browse
	 (vertical 1.0
		   (browse 1.0 point)
		   (if gnus-carpal
		       '(browse-carpal 2))))
	(message
	 (vertical 1.0
		   (message 1.0 point)))
	(pick
	 (vertical 1.0
		   (article 1.0 point)))
	(info
	 (vertical 1.0
		   (info 1.0 point)))
	(summary-faq
	 (vertical 1.0
		   (summary 0.25)
		   (faq 1.0 point)))
	(edit-article
	 (vertical 1.0
		   (article 1.0 point)))
	(edit-form
	 (vertical 1.0
		   (group 0.5)
		   (edit-form 1.0 point)))
	(edit-score
	 (vertical 1.0
		   (summary 0.25)
		   (edit-score 1.0 point)))
	(post
	 (vertical 1.0
		   (post 1.0 point)))
	(reply
	 (vertical 1.0
		   (article 0.5)
		   (message 1.0 point)))
	(forward
	 (vertical 1.0
		   (message 1.0 point)))
	(reply-yank
	 (vertical 1.0
		   (message 1.0 point)))
	(mail-bounce
	 (vertical 1.0
		   (article 0.5)
		   (message 1.0 point)))
	(pipe
	 (vertical 1.0
		   (summary 0.25 point)
		   (if gnus-carpal
		       '(summary-carpal 4))
		   ("*Shell Command Output*" 1.0)))
	(bug
	 (vertical 1.0
		   (if gnus-bug-create-help-buffer
		       '("*Gnus Help Bug*" 0.5))
		   ("*Gnus Bug*" 1.0 point)))
	(score-trace
	 (vertical 1.0
		   (summary 0.5 point)
		   ("*Score Trace*" 1.0)))
	(score-words
	 (vertical 1.0
		   (summary 0.5 point)
		   ("*Score Words*" 1.0)))
	(split-trace
	 (vertical 1.0
		   (summary 0.5 point)
		   ("*Split Trace*" 1.0)))
	(category
	 (vertical 1.0
		   (category 1.0)))
	(compose-bounce
	 (vertical 1.0
		   (article 0.5)
		   (message 1.0 point)))
	(display-term
	 (vertical 1.0
		   ("*display*" 1.0)))))
;; (makeunbound 'gnus-topic-mode)
;; (makeunbound 'gnus-topic-mode-hook)
;; (makeunbound 'gnus-topic-line-format)
;; (makeunbound 'gnus-topic-indent-level)
;; (makeunbound 'gnus-topic-display-empty-topics)
(setq gnus-agent-expire-days 30)
(setq gnus-server-mode-hook
      '(gnus-agent-mode))
(setq mm-inline-text-html-with-images t)
(setq mm-discouraged-alternatives
      '("application/octet-stream" "audio/midi"))
(setq mm-inline-large-images t)
(setq nnmail-keep-last-article t)
(setq nnmail-prepare-incoming-hook
      '((lambda nil
	  (goto-char
	   (point-min)))))
(setq message-directory "~/var/mail/")
(setq message-required-headers
      '((X-Draft-From lambda nil
		      (gnus-inews-make-draft-meta-information "nnrss:Debian Planet" 'nil))
	(optional . References)
	From))
(setq message-mode-hook
      '(#[nil "\302\030\303	!)\207"
	      [gnus-article-copy gnus-setup-message-group nil gnus-configure-posting-styles]
	      2]))
(setq message-header-setup-hook
      '(gnus-inews-insert-archive-gcc gnus-inews-insert-gcc))
(setq message-send-actions
      '((gnus-bug-kill-buffer)))
(setq message-auto-save-directory "~/var/mail/drafts")

<#/part>

[-- Attachment #3: 10704 --]
[-- Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2451 bytes --]

From: Bill Wohler <wohler@olgas.newt.com>
To: bugs@gnus.org (The Gnus Bugfixing Girls + Boys)
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 11:50:38 -0800

As a followup to my last message, I did a little more digging and
created the absolute minimum environment (appended below) and ran emacs
-q. I still saw the problem I described in the previous message. In the
minimalist environment, I am probably seeing the text/html parts and am
probably using w3-standalone (the default).

While email address and links in other (nntp and nnml) Gnus buffers are
highlighted and can be followed, the links in the nnrss buffers can not.
Do you know why not? Is this because goto-address is working on the
other buffers and w3-standalone isn't generating clickable links in the
text/html parts? I suppose this is another bug: these links should be
clickable by default in case you're not a Ph.D. in Emacs lisp.

By the way, how come nnml-directory isn't customizable? I have moved
nearly my entire Gnus settings to customize except for that option.

Thanks!

(custom-set-variables
 '(gnus-directory "~/var/news")
 '(gnus-group-line-format "%M%S%p%L%P%5y: %(%g%)%l
")
 '(gnus-before-startup-hook 'bw-gnus-startup)
 '(gnus-summary-line-format "%U%R%z%(%-20,20n%)%6L %S
")
 '(gnus-thread-hide-subtree t)
 '(mail-source-delete-incoming t)
 '(mail-sources (quote ((directory :path "/home/wohler/var/mail/incoming/" :suffix ""))))
 '(message-auto-save-directory "~/var/mail/drafts")
 '(message-directory "~/var/mail/"))

(defun bw-gnus-startup ()
  (setq nnml-directory            (expand-file-name "lists" message-directory))
  ;; Summary buffer.
  (gnus-add-configuration '(article (vertical 1.0
                                              (summary 4 point)
                                              (article 1.0)))))

* Re: nnml-directory not customizable
@ 2005-12-19 21:41       ` David Z Maze
From: David Z Maze @ 2005-12-19 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> writes:

> OK, now I get it. But there's a catch. I'd like to have something like
> the following in my customize-set-variables stanza:
>
>   '(gnus-secondary-select-methods (quote ((nnml "" (nnml-directory (expand-file-name "lists" message-directory))))))
>   '(message-directory "~/var/mail/")
>
> It would be nice not to have to hard-code the path to the nnml-directory
> in the secondary select method so I only have to modify
> message-directory if my directory changes.
>
> Any thoughts?

backquote!  While I'm not terribly familiar with customize's
interface, I'd write this as

(setq message-directory "~/var/mail"
      gnus-secondary-select-methods
        `((nnml "" (nnml-directory
                    ,(expand-file-name "lists" message-directory)))))

So at setq time, message-directory is set, then the expand-file-name
is evaluated and its contents are inserted into
gnus-secondary-select-methods.  I really doubt this would play nicely
with customize at all, though (it's not going to have much luck
unparsing the backquoted form, so if you updated custom with other
things your code will probably get overwritten).  And it is dependent
on the order of definition.

  --dzm

* Re: nnrss seems to have alternative handling switched
@ 2005-12-23 19:40       ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2005-12-23 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Wohler <wohler@olgas.newt.com> wrote:

> When I view the text/plain alternative (I think--I've added text/html to
> mm-discouraged-alternatives), the lines aren't folded and I can see HTML
> tags. When I remove text/html from mm-discouraged-alternatives, then I
> get the text/html alternative (I think) and see what should be a
> text/plain alternative (text is folded, and I don't see HTML, nor
> links).

I removed text/html from mm-discouraged-alternatives and switched
mm-text-html-renderer from w3m-standalone to w3m. Now the text/html body
parts look fine and I see the links. Not seeing the links must be a
deficiency of w3m-standalone. Correct?

However, I forwarded an RSS article and was able to see both text/plain
and text/html alternatives. It appears that the text/plain alternative
looks like the text/html alternative. In other words, it has all of the
HTML and no hard newlines.

Therefore, it appears that this bug report is really about the creation
of the text/plain alternative from an RSS article. It needs to be
smarter about stripping the HTML, inserting URLs in parenthesis next to
the link text, and inserting hard newlines at <p>s and filling the text.