* Problem with gnus-output-to-mail in gnus-util.el
@ 2004-11-22 16:40 CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2004-11-22 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

I found a problem with latest No Gnus.

Any "From" at the beginning of a line will have a ">" inserted when
posted. I found it's owing to code in gnus-output-to-mail in
gnus-util.el:
line 937-940:

(let (case-fold-search)
	(while (re-search-forward "^From " nil t)
	  (beginning-of-line)
	  (insert ">")))

I just wonder why this code exists. Is it intended or it's a bug?

--
"When the government fears the people, you have liberty.
 When the people fear the government, you have tyranny."

* Re: Problem with gnus-output-to-mail in gnus-util.el
@ 2004-11-22 16:55 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2004-11-22 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

CHENG Gao <chenggao@gmail.com> writes:

> I found a problem with latest No Gnus.
>
> Any "From" at the beginning of a line will have a ">" inserted when
> posted.

It shouldn't have.

> I found it's owing to code in gnus-output-to-mail in
> gnus-util.el:
> line 937-940:
>
> (let (case-fold-search)
> 	(while (re-search-forward "^From " nil t)
> 	  (beginning-of-line)
> 	  (insert ">")))
>
> I just wonder why this code exists. Is it intended or it's a bug?

That function is used when storing the message in a mbox file.  The
mbox file format uses ^From for internal purposes, so any such lines
must be escaped.

I think we should make sure Gnus does not escape From into >From
unless it is absolutely necessary (like when storing a message into a
mbox file).  In some mail environments ^From actually work, and then
it would bad annoying if Gnus alter such messages.

Note that it might be your server that escape this.  Use tcpdump to
determine whether it is Gnus or the server that add the >.

* Re: Problem with gnus-output-to-mail in gnus-util.el
@ 2004-11-22 17:19   ` CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2004-11-22 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

While following your post, I'll have a test in this post.
I do have this problem, and today I saw some posts with this
problem. But I dont remember which ones, so I can not list message ids.

==test below==
From should not be inserted a ">" before, please!
==test over==

If it does not have this problem, then please forgive me.

--
相濡以沫,不如相忘于江湖。

* Re: Problem with gnus-output-to-mail in gnus-util.el
@ 2004-11-22 17:43     ` CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2004-11-22 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

From test again. Now I pust From at the first line.

In gmane.emacs.devel, <87u0rjjfh1.fsf@jurta.org> has this. Posted by
No Gnus 0.3.
<fz35ltc5.fsf@gmail.com> posted by myself with No Gnus 0.3 two days ago.

--
山中何所有
岭上多白云

* Re: Problem with gnus-output-to-mail in gnus-util.el
@ 2004-11-22 18:38       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-11-22 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Nov 22 2004, CHENG Gao wrote:

> From test again. Now I pust From at the first line.
>
> In gmane.emacs.devel, <87u0rjjfh1.fsf@jurta.org> has this. Posted by
> No Gnus 0.3.
> <fz35ltc5.fsf@gmail.com> posted by myself with No Gnus 0.3 two days ago.

I'd bet that the list software or some MTA on the way inserts the
">"s.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Problem with gnus-output-to-mail in gnus-util.el
@ 2004-11-22 19:23     ` David Z Maze
From: David Z Maze @ 2004-11-22 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

CHENG Gao <chenggao@gmail.com> writes:

> ==test below==
> From should not be inserted a ">" before, please!
> ==test over==

Gnus (I assume) is being clever: since your message has lots of
quoted-printable in it anyways, the ^From gets turned into =46rom.
You can see this by pressing C-u g from the summary buffer to see the
raw (unMIMEd) article.

  --dzm

* Re: Problem with gnus-output-to-mail in gnus-util.el
@ 2004-11-23  7:23         ` Cheng Gao
From: Cheng Gao @ 2004-11-23  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

,----
| I'd bet that the list software or some MTA on the way inserts the
| ">"s.
`----

So gmane admin should check its configuration. I can see messages with
this problem from time to time in gmane groups. If you read
gmane.emacs.devel, you may notice them, including one posted by Benjamin
Riefenstahl yesterday with message id <m3brdqgkun.fsf@seneca.benny.turtle-trading.net>.

--
相濡以沫,不如相忘于江湖。

* Re: Problem with gnus-output-to-mail in gnus-util.el
@ 2004-11-23  8:27           ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-11-23  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Nov 23 2004, Cheng Gao wrote:

> ,----
> | I'd bet that the list software or some MTA on the way inserts the
> | ">"s.
> `----
>
> So gmane admin should check its configuration. I can see messages with
> this problem from time to time in gmane groups.

Gmane receives _all_ messages from the corresponding mailing lists.
It's most probably not Gmane's fault.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,