From: David Z Maze <dmaze@MIT.EDU>
Subject: Re: How to change the default ~/Mail and ~/News dirs with their subdirs?
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 10:28:57 -0400	[thread overview]

"romeomedina\@libero\.it" <romeomedina@libero.it> writes:

> I'm totally new to the 'newrseaderly fashion' gnus is conceived,
> and I still haven't even well understood what a newsreader actually is.
[...]
> Now, as beginner, I only need three directories: received-mail,
> sent-mail and drafts, included under a superdirectory 'mail'.

If I read a newsgroup (ObPlug: such as the very useful, not
historically directed at Gnus developers, gnu.emacs.gnus group) then I
can see every message as far back in history as the news server
keeps.  My setup actually does try to replicate that: I bcc all mail
to myself, I sort each mailing list I'm on and each person I regularly
send mail to into a separate group, and then the mailing list groups
are total-expirable.

It sounds to me as though you're trying to force Outlook's directory
structure on to Gnus.  As you've discovered, Gnus is very flexible and
you can make it do that.  But someday you're going to have a question
like "how come this article gets stuck in my drafts group" (or, with
your setup, "how come nnml finds my drafts group and then everything
gets confused") and you'll get told to look in ~/News/drafts and it
won't be there.  Changing everything for the sake of changing
everything isn't necessarily a productive exercise.

  --dzm