* various  independent  "mail servers" and the nnml backend
@ 2005-07-18 16:09 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2005-07-18 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello

I think I still did not understand completely the idea of servers and there
relevant backends. I want two things:

    - I would  like  to download  mails from  a  POP3 account and
      store it in a nnml format. So I have set:
      %%for the nnml backend
      (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
			 '(nnml "POP3-GMX" (nnml-directory "/home/oub/Mail/POP3-GMX")))

      %% for the pop3 server
      (eval-after-load "mail-source"
       '(add-to-list 'mail-sources '(pop :server "pop.gmx.net"
                                     :user "5224480")))

        this leads to
             41: nnml+POP3-GMX:mail.misc
        in my Group summary buffer (the directory my mail ends up is
        /home/oub/Mail/POP3-GMX/mail/misc)

    - I also  want to store older mail,  from my vm folders using
      the   nnml     backend.   (I set     message   directory to
      "~Mail/MESSAGES"), respooled the  mail of my vm folders (as
      described in  the manual.) To my  horror those messages end
      up   in  the     mail.misc    directory.  But   this     is
      /home/oub/Mail/POP3-GMX/mail/misc.  In other words archived
      mail when    respooled end up where my    mails of the pop3
      server. That is not what I want.
      When I use gnus-group-enter-server-mode, I se
     {nnml:} (opened)
     {nnml:POP3-GMX} (opened)
     now both nnml servers contain the same groups:

     111: OUTBOX (some already archived mails form a vm folder)
      47: mail.misc (mail of my pop3 server)

     I would like to have
     111: OUTBOX (some already archived mails form a vm folder)
     only in the
     {nnml:} (opened)
     server and
      47: mail.misc (mail of my pop3 server)
     the
     {nnml:POP3-GMX} (opened)
     server

How can I define two independent servers with the nnml backend.

Thanks

Uwe Brauer