* adaptive scoring control in .SCORE not working
@ 1997-02-14  0:03 Rich Pieri
From: Rich Pieri @ 1997-02-14  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rich Pieri <rich.pieri@prescienttech.com> | Ingredients of Happy Fun Ball
Prescient Technologies, Inc.              | include an unknown glowing
A Stone & Webster Company                 | substance which fell to Earth,
I speak for myself, not PTI or SWEC       | presumably from outer space.

* Re: adaptive scoring control in .SCORE not working
@ 1997-02-14  7:56 ` Hans de Graaff
From: Hans de Graaff @ 1997-02-14  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rich Pieri <rich.pieri@PrescientTech.com> writes:

> I have just confirmed that the `adapt' directives ("(adapt t)" and
> "(adapt ignore)") in .SCORE files are not working.  I am not sure
> yet if they are simply being ignored or if the value of
> gnus-use-adaptive-scoring is incorrectly being allowed to override
> them rather than them overriding the variable.

Are you by any chance using auto-expiration? If so, then this wipes
away your catchup and read information with 'E' marks for
expiration. Switching to total-expire should work.

Hans

* Re: adaptive scoring control in .SCORE not working
@ 1997-02-14 15:03   ` Rich Pieri
From: Rich Pieri @ 1997-02-14 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rich Pieri <rich.pieri@prescienttech.com> | When not in use, Happy Fun Ball
Prescient Technologies, Inc.              | should be returned to its special

* Re: adaptive scoring control in .SCORE not working
@ 1997-02-14 16:05     ` Hans de Graaff
From: Hans de Graaff @ 1997-02-14 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rich Pieri <rich.pieri@PrescientTech.com> writes:

> HdG> If so, then this wipes away your catchup and read information with
> HdG> 'E' marks for expiration.
>
> This is technically a bug, then, I think.  Marking everything unread as
> expirable should occour after the adaptive scoring algorithms have
> processed the mail group.  Not that big a deal for me, though, since I
> do not want to use adaptive scoring in my nnml groups.

I agree it's a bug, but fixing this wasn't easy, I think. The consensus
the last time this was discussed here was that it wouldn't be fixed.

> HdG> Switching to total-expire should work.
>
> This does not address the problem when I am not using any kind of
> automatic expiry, which is when I *do* use adaptive scoring.
>
> Note: my adaptive scoring setup worked fine in Gnus 5.2.40.

I understand. Can't volunteer additional suggestions, though. Now Lars
will likely suggest that you step through the relevant functions in
debug-mode. :-)

Hans