* Using BBDB to split mail?
@ 1997-01-23 13:44 Hans de Graaff
From: Hans de Graaff @ 1997-01-23 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would like to split mail acoording to whether the sending person is
in my BBDB database or not. I have briefly looked over the
documentation of splitting, and it seems that this can only be done
using a fancy split, and some lisp glue to query the BBDB database.

I'm not really a lisp hacker, so before trying to fudge something
together and converting my splits to be fancy, I figured I'd ask here
first. Maybe somebody has already invented this wheel for me?

Hans

* Re: Using BBDB to split mail?
@ 1997-01-31 16:29 ` Hans de Graaff
From: Hans de Graaff @ 1997-01-31 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans de Graaff <J.J.deGraaff@twi.tudelft.nl> writes:

> I would like to split mail acoording to whether the sending person
> is in my BBDB database or not. I have briefly looked over the
> documentation of splitting, and it seems that this can only be done
> using a fancy split, and some lisp glue to query the BBDB database.

Well, I got a single response (Thanks Hunter) about using fields in
BBDB to split mail, but this wasn't what I wanted to do.

So I had to hack up something myself. I used a function in the normal
split rules to hack this together, and the function itself looks like
this:

(defun jjdg-bbdb-split-search (group)
  (let (from)
    (setq from (gnus-extract-address-components (gnus-fetch-field "from")))
    (when from
      (bbdb-search-simple (car from) (cdr from))))
)

This does exactly what I want. Lars, thanks for thinking ahead and
allowing functions in normal splits, and for providing gnus-util.el!
It makes writing this sort of stuff much simpler.

Hans