* nnml problem: move suggestion not correctly handled
@ 1996-05-23  7:16 Hans de Graaff
From: Hans de Graaff @ 1996-05-23  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

sgnus-0.91, XEmacs 19.13.

I'm using the nnml backend to read high-volume mail with. I can move
articles just fine with B m. When I want to move a second article,
nnml even presents me with the previous mailbox I moved an article to
as the default. This is great, except pressing just enter (to accept
the default) gives my an 'incomplete specification' message. I need to
type the full name at the prompt. (Maybe this is because nnml: is
already placed in the mini-buffer, and the default mechanism expects
an empty mini-buffer?)

Hans
--
Hans de Graaff                              J.J.deGraaff@TWI.TUDelft.NL
Delft University of Technology        Department of Information Systems

* Re: nnml problem: move suggestion not correctly handled
@ 1996-05-23 13:37 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-05-23 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans de Graaff <J.J.deGraaff@twi.tudelft.nl> writes:

> I'm using the nnml backend to read high-volume mail with. I can move
> articles just fine with B m. When I want to move a second article,
> nnml even presents me with the previous mailbox I moved an article to
> as the default. This is great, except pressing just enter (to accept
> the default) gives my an 'incomplete specification' message. I need to
> type the full name at the prompt. (Maybe this is because nnml: is
> already placed in the mini-buffer, and the default mechanism expects
> an empty mini-buffer?)

I am unable to reproduce this bug.  When I just `B m RET', the message
is moved to the default group.

Perhaps you have bound `RET' to `minibuffer-complete-and-exit' instead
of `exit-minibuffer' or something like that?

* Re: nnml problem: move suggestion not correctly handled
@ 1996-05-23 15:40 ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-05-23 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans> sgnus-0.91, XEmacs 19.13.

Hans> I'm using the nnml backend to read high-volume mail with. I can
Hans> move articles just fine with B m. When I want to move a second
Hans> article, nnml even presents me with the previous mailbox I moved
Hans> an article to as the default. This is great, except pressing
Hans> just enter (to accept the default) gives my an 'incomplete
Hans> specification' message. I need to type the full name at the
Hans> prompt.

This is an XEmacs feature -- it doesn't happen with GNU Emacs 19.30.
The prompt is annoying, but can be ignored even though you have to hit
enter twice to get by it.

(setq minibuffer-confirm-incomplete nil)
to make it go away.

minibuffer-confirm-incomplete's value is t
  -- a variable declared in Lisp.

Documentation:
If true, then in contexts where completing-read allows answers which
are not valid completions, an extra RET must be typed to confirm the
response.  This is helpful for catching typos, etc.

Also see:
minibuffer-completion-confirm's value is nil
  -- a variable declared in Lisp.

Documentation:
Non-nil => demand confirmation of completion before exiting minibuffer.

As Per Abrahamsen has pointed out (in a different context), you can
hit the up-arrow to fill in the minibuffer with the previous value,
which will also work.

--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be proofread for $250/hour.

* Re: nnml problem: move suggestion not correctly handled
@ 1996-05-23 17:35   ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1996-05-23 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

SLB> minibuffer-confirm-incomplete's value is t

Perhaps Gnus should bind that locally?

SLB> As Per Abrahamsen has pointed out (in a different context), you can
SLB> hit the up-arrow to fill in the minibuffer with the previous value,
SLB> which will also work.

He is using XEmacs 19.13, so he has to use M-p.

* Re: nnml problem: move suggestion not correctly handled
@ 1996-05-23 19:27     ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-05-23 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

SLB> minibuffer-confirm-incomplete's value is t

Per> Perhaps Gnus should bind that locally?

That sounds O.K.  Although odd as this Gnus behavior is, it is
consistent with the double return necessary for buffer creation via
C-x 4 b or C-x 5 b.  This is not a feature I really care for much of
the time.

SLB> As Per Abrahamsen has pointed out (in a different context), you can
SLB> hit the up-arrow to fill in the minibuffer with the previous value,
SLB> which will also work.

Per> He is using XEmacs 19.13, so he has to use M-p.

Oops.  I should have said the up-arrow will work in 19.14.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-05-23 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

> SLB> minibuffer-confirm-incomplete's value is t
>
> Perhaps Gnus should bind that locally?

`gnus-read-move-group-name' will do so in 0.92.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: nnml problem: move suggestion not correctly handled
@ 1996-05-28  7:18       ` Hans de Graaff
From: Hans de Graaff @ 1996-05-28  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:
>
> > SLB> minibuffer-confirm-incomplete's value is t
> >
> > Perhaps Gnus should bind that locally?
>
> `gnus-read-move-group-name' will do so in 0.92.

Thanks! You guys diagnosed my problems correctly, got me plenty
solutions, and the work fine.

Hans