* Keeping nnimap groups when the server changes
@ 2010-11-24 20:21 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2010-11-24 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello!

Email at work, which I access using nnimap, has moved from one server to
another, and all the IMAP folders were copied using imapsync.

I changed my Gnus select method to point to the new server, but then I
lost some of my marks, and Gnus appears to be confused.  For instance,
/ o in my INBOX shows some old messages but fails to show some of the
more recent ones.

I guess this has to do with article renumbering.  What can be done to
resync with the new IMAP server?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: Keeping nnimap groups when the server changes
@ 2010-11-24 20:28 ` Julien Danjou
From: Julien Danjou @ 2010-11-24 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: ding

<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>
On Wed, Nov 24 2010, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

> I guess this has to do with article renumbering.  What can be done to
> resync with the new IMAP server?

Try M-g?

--
Julien Danjou
// ᐰ <julien@danjou.info>   http://julien.danjou.info

* Re: Keeping nnimap groups when the server changes
@ 2010-11-24 22:34   ` Ludovic Courtès
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2010-11-24 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Julien Danjou <julien@danjou.info> writes:

> <#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

Uh, bug?

> On Wed, Nov 24 2010, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>
>> I guess this has to do with article renumbering.  What can be done to
>> resync with the new IMAP server?
>
> Try M-g?

I tried it, of course, and that doesn’t solve the problem.

@ 2010-11-24 22:47     ` Julien Danjou
From: Julien Danjou @ 2010-11-24 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: ding

<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>
On Wed, Nov 24 2010, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

> Uh, bug?

Yeah, I was playing with goto-body and stuff. :)

--

@ 2010-11-24 22:51       ` Julien Danjou
From: Julien Danjou @ 2010-11-24 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: ding

On Wed, Nov 24 2010, Julien Danjou wrote:

> Yeah, I was playing with goto-body and stuff. :)

Actually no, that's a bug I guess. I can't send signed mails anymore.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-11-24 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

>>> I guess this has to do with article renumbering.  What can be done to
>>> resync with the new IMAP server?
>>
>> Try M-g?
>
> I tried it, of course, and that doesn’t solve the problem.

Check whether you have the groups in the cache or the Agent.  Look under
~/News...

* Re: Keeping nnimap groups when the server changes
@ 2010-11-25  8:17       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2010-11-25  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello,

>>> Try M-g?
>>
>> I tried it, of course, and that doesn’t solve the problem.
>
> Check whether you have the groups in the cache or the Agent.  Look under
> ~/News...

I removed ~/News/cache/GROUP, with no difference.

I then re-agentized the server (I had de-agentized it to be on the safe
side), ran M-x gnus-agent-regenerate, with no difference.

From what I can see with strace and in ‘*imap log*’, / o is getting
things from the network, like this:

  09:10:44 166 UID FETCH 27765:27921,27926:27929,27931,27933:27935,27937:27938,27943:27946,27951,27954,27957,27961,27964,27968:27969,27975,27977:27978,27980:27987,27989:27999 (UID RFC822.SIZE BODYSTRUCTURE BODY.PEEK[HEADER.FIELDS (Subject From Date Message-Id References In-Reply-To Xref To Newsgroups)])

I suppose that if the article numbers used here are wrong, which is
likely given the migration from one server to another, then that doesn’t
work.  So, IIUC, I would need to regenerate this stale article number
data, but I don’t know how to do it.

Hints?

@ 2010-11-25 10:36     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2010-11-25 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Julien Danjou <julien@danjou.info> writes:
>> <#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

> Uh, bug?

>> On Wed, Nov 24 2010, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

>>> I guess this has to do with article renumbering.  What can be done
>>> to resync with the new IMAP server?

>> Try M-g?

> I tried it, of course, and that doesn’t solve the problem.

nnimap shouldn't be sensitive to article renumbering, since the server
is always the master...?

The agent would be the possible culprit then (yes, I saw that you've
cleared the agent directory).  Have you tried running without the agent
altogether?  Have you stopped gnus+emacs and started a new emacs with a
new gnus, after un-agentizing and deleting the agent directory?

* Re: Keeping nnimap groups when the server changes
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-12-05 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> I suppose that if the article numbers used here are wrong, which is
> likely given the migration from one server to another, then that doesn’t
> work.  So, IIUC, I would need to regenerate this stale article number
> data, but I don’t know how to do it.

`M-g' should do a complete sync of the article data, unless you have a
cache or Agent thing in the way.  But you way that you don't, and that
`M-g' doesn't work, so it's rather confusing...