* Unable to select group (nnimap) but gnus can split from it
@ 2012-11-08 20:26 Aric Gregson
From: Aric Gregson @ 2012-11-08 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello,

I'm back to trying Gnus again with Ma Gnus v0.6 and Emacs 24.2
and it feels comfortable again.
However I am still having some problems with the same microsoft
mail server.

I can log into the server without a problem and during the initial
check for new mail upon starting up Gnus I can see new mail and
enter the Inbox group. However, upon subsequent checks for new
mail, I can no longer enter any group on the server and get the
"can't select group" error. Opening and closing the server from
the Server buffer does not help.

Oddly enough, when Gnus checks new mail I can see that it finds
new messages in this Inbox because it is trying to split mail from
it (using another mail program I see the messages are real).

I am not sure how to fix this or look further into why this is
happening. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

aric

* Re: Unable to select group (nnimap) but gnus can split from it
@ 2012-11-09  1:12 ` Eric Fraga
From: Eric Fraga @ 2012-11-09  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Aric Gregson <aorchid@mac.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm back to trying Gnus again with Ma Gnus v0.6 and Emacs 24.2
> and it feels comfortable again.
> However I am still having some problems with the same microsoft
> mail server.
>
> I can log into the server without a problem and during the initial
> check for new mail upon starting up Gnus I can see new mail and
> enter the Inbox group. However, upon subsequent checks for new
> mail, I can no longer enter any group on the server and get the
> "can't select group" error. Opening and closing the server from
> the Server buffer does not help.

I don't know if this is related but I often have to request the group
twice in order to enter it, having previously visited it.  MS systems do
not seem to play well at all with others (what surprise...).

Even more annoying is that within a group, when going from message to
message, all of a sudden gnus will complain about a message being
unavailable (cannot remember exact error).  If I go to another message
in the group, gnus re-opens the connection.  I can then go back to the
first message and it works.

It would seem that gnus thinks the connection to the MS IMAP system is
still open even though it has been closed.  Once an error occurs, gnus
is happy to re-open the connection?

It would be nice if gnus could try re-opening on error, at least once?

Just grasping at straws here, mind you.  The real problem is Microsoft,
in my opinion.

eric
--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.2.50.1 + Ma Gnus v0.6

* Re: Unable to select group (nnimap) but gnus can split from it
@ 2012-11-09  1:43   ` Aric Gregson
From: Aric Gregson @ 2012-11-09  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Eric Fraga <e.fraga <at> ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> I don't know if this is related but I often have to request the group
> twice in order to enter it, having previously visited it.  MS systems do
> not seem to play well at all with others (what surprise...).

This is interesting. It will not open the offending group no matter how
many times I tell it to open, but when I did a 'Catch-up' I was able to
open the group! Of course, then all is marked read, but at least I can
see the mail. So odd, because Gnus is still filtering the messages out
of the inbox, it just does not want to let me back in without some work
on my part!

> Even more annoying is that within a group, when going from message to
> message, all of a sudden gnus will complain about a message being
> unavailable (cannot remember exact error).  If I go to another message
> in the group, gnus re-opens the connection.  I can then go back to the
> first message and it works.

Yes. I have had this happen to me as well.

> It would seem that gnus thinks the connection to the MS IMAP system is
> still open even though it has been closed.  Once an error occurs, gnus
> is happy to re-open the connection?

Maybe. Be nice to find a work-around if this is the problem. Mind you, I
don't have as many issues with say claws-mail and this server.

> Just grasping at straws here, mind you.  The real problem is Microsoft,
> in my opinion.

Agreed.

Thanks for your suggestions.

@ 2012-11-09  2:02   ` Aric Gregson
From: Aric Gregson @ 2012-11-09  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Well, it seems that any sort of action I can do on a group, aside from 'read' or
'select' will open that group up again. Sort of odd, perhaps someone can figure
out why that is.

Thanks, Aric

* Re: Unable to select group (nnimap) but gnus can split from it
@ 2012-11-09 23:03     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2012-11-09 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Well, it seems that any sort of action I can do on a group, aside from 'read' or
> 'select' will open that group up again. Sort of odd, perhaps someone can figure
> out why that is.

Try doing a `M-g' on that group in the Group buffer, and see if that
help things.

* Re: Unable to select group (nnimap) but gnus can split from it
@ 2012-11-10  0:13       ` Aric Gregson
From: Aric Gregson @ 2012-11-10  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Steinar Bang <sb <at> dod.no> writes:

> Try doing a `M-g' on that group in the Group buffer, and see if that
> help things.

Yes, I've been doing that intermittently today and it works. Problem is
that you never know when that group has mail...

Thanks, aric

* Re: Unable to select group (nnimap) but gnus can split from it
@ 2012-11-10  7:37         ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2012-11-10  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Steinar Bang <sb <at> dod.no> writes:

>> Try doing a `M-g' on that group in the Group buffer, and see if that
>> help things.

> Yes, I've been doing that intermittently today and it works. Problem
> is that you never know when that group has mail...

I was hoping it would fix things permanently.

The new nnimap is a lot faster than the previous version because it uses
QRESYNC to find new messages.  To be able to do so, it needs to store
the state of the group in nnimap.eld as well.  `M-g' does a full sync
and updates the .newsrc.eld so that QRESYNC will do the right thing.

Or at least it should...

You're talking to an Exchange server?  What version?

Note that a fix will probably have to wait until Lars returns to this
group.  But this groups archives have quite a bit of articles on the
nnimap and how well it works (or not) with various IMAP servers.

Use "Search the list" in:
  http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general

Or use `G G' on this group in the Group buffer in Gnus.

* Re: Unable to select group (nnimap) but gnus can split from it
@ 2012-11-11  9:53     ` lee
From: lee @ 2012-11-11  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Aric Gregson <aorchid@mac.com> writes:

> Eric Fraga <e.fraga <at> ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> I don't know if this is related but I often have to request the group
>> twice in order to enter it, having previously visited it.  MS systems do
>> not seem to play well at all with others (what surprise...).
>
> This is interesting. It will not open the offending group no matter how
> many times I tell it to open, but when I did a 'Catch-up' I was able to
> open the group! Of course, then all is marked read, but at least I can
> see the mail. So odd, because Gnus is still filtering the messages out
> of the inbox, it just does not want to let me back in without some work
> on my part!

Would it be a workaround to just split all messages from the inbox into
another group?  You wouldn't have to look into the inbox anymore then.

--
http://www.asciiribbon.org/
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855

* Re: Unable to select group (nnimap) but gnus can split from it
@ 2012-11-14 21:35           ` Aric Gregson
From: Aric Gregson @ 2012-11-14 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

> The new nnimap is a lot faster than the previous version because it uses
> QRESYNC to find new messages.  To be able to do so, it needs to store
> the state of the group in nnimap.eld as well.  `M-g' does a full sync
> and updates the .newsrc.eld so that QRESYNC will do the right thing.

It seems like it does, but I have to do it repeatedly.

> You're talking to an Exchange server?  What version?

I can tell it is an Exchange Server 2007, beyond that I cannot tell
you.

> Note that a fix will probably have to wait until Lars returns to this
> group.  But this groups archives have quite a bit of articles on the
> nnimap and how well it works (or not) with various IMAP servers.

I will try the search and see if I come up with anything else. I can
tell you that this nnimap version is much faster than I remember before
and despite this problem that I am having, I think that it works better
with the Exchange server than prior versions.

Thanks, Aric
--
    ~O
    /\_,

* Re: Unable to select group (nnimap) but gnus can split from it
@ 2012-11-15 13:49             ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2012-11-15 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

>> The new nnimap is a lot faster than the previous version because it uses
>> QRESYNC to find new messages.  To be able to do so, it needs to store
>> the state of the group in nnimap.eld as well.  `M-g' does a full sync
>> and updates the .newsrc.eld so that QRESYNC will do the right thing.

> It seems like it does, but I have to do it repeatedly.

Right.  If I'm to guess, this is because a full sync works, but QRESYNC
doesn't.

As for why QRESYNC doesn't work, I don't know.  It could be because the
server in question doesn't support it, or it could be something wrong
with the request or the response (it can be something as little as a SPC
too many or to little, as a different IMAP server proved).

Anyway, a workaround here could be to fall back to making `g' do full
sync of nnimap groups to find new messages.  But I don't know if this is
possible to do with the new nnimap...?

Of course, full sync is slooo-oo-o-w, which is why the new nnimap
uses, or tries to use, QRESYNC...

* Re: Unable to select group (nnimap) but gnus can split from it
@ 2012-11-17 18:01               ` Aric Gregson
From: Aric Gregson @ 2012-11-17 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

> Right.  If I'm to guess, this is because a full sync works, but QRESYNC
> doesn't.

OK.

> Anyway, a workaround here could be to fall back to making `g' do full
> sync of nnimap groups to find new messages.  But I don't know if this is
> possible to do with the new nnimap...?

This might be necessary for me. The problem with `M-g' on the Inbox only
is that then I cannot move messages to other folders on the Exchange
server without first closing the Inbox and going to do an `M-g' on any
folder I want to copy to. Not a huge deal, but clearly makes using that
server unpleasant.

Never thought I would actually want the school to move to Gmail...

Thanks, Aric