* IMAP-related questions
@ 2012-10-30  7:49 thorsopia
From: thorsopia @ 2012-10-30  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

I have several questions connected with IMAP.

I decided to post them in a single thread because I don't want to
overwhelm the list.

Server's "~/.gnus.el":

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnml ""))
(eval-after-load "mail-source"
  '(add-to-list 'mail-sources '(maildir :path "~/Maildir/"
                                        :subdirs ("cur" "new"))))

Client's "~/.gnus.el":

(setq mail-sources '((imap :server "mail.example.com"
                                                   :port 993
                                                   :stream ssl
                                                   :dontexpunge nil)))

1. How to verify server's certificate? (Will the same work for SMTP?)

2. ":dontexpunge nil" doesn't delete messages from the server. Why?
   (I checked via server's Gnus.)

3. "Group" buffer always says "No more unread newsgroups". But I'll
   see new emails if I hit "A A" in the "Group" buffer. Should I fix
   this? (How?)

4. I marked some messages with "E", quit the "Group" buffer with "q",
   quit Gnus with "q". Then I reopened Gnus and "E" marks
   disappeared. The same applies to "R". (I haven't tried other marks
   yet.) Why?

* Re: IMAP-related questions
@ 2012-10-30 10:04 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2012-10-30 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Why are you using an imap mail source, instead of nnimap?  Ditto for
maildir...?

(Just curious... I would have set up nnimap for those folders even for
the .gnus.el for the Gnus running on the server machine)

- Steinar

* Re: IMAP-related questions
@ 2012-10-31 21:50   ` thorsopia
From: thorsopia @ 2012-10-31 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Why are you using an imap mail source, instead of nnimap?  Ditto for
> maildir...?

What's the difference?

I also tried with the following, but it didn't solve the problems with
marks.

(setq gnus-select-method
	  '(nnimap "main"
			   (nnimap-address "mail.example.com")
			   (nnimap-stream ssl)))

So, any thoughts on my initial questions?

* Re: IMAP-related questions
@ 2012-11-01  8:39     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2012-11-01  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> Why are you using an imap mail source, instead of nnimap?  Ditto for
>> maildir...?

> What's the difference?

With a mail source emails are pulled into gnus and managed inside of
gnus in one of the local mail backends, eg. nnml.

Nothing you do in the nnml group on the non-server machine will affect
the message on the server.

If you use nnmailbox (or whatever it's called) on the server machine,
and if you're using eg. courier or dovecot with the mailbox backend,
then server Gnus will affect the messages seen through IMAP.  But there
is no guarantee that nnmailbox or nnimap-through-dovecot will set the
same marks in the same way.

Using nnimap the imap server becomes a server along with the nntp
server(s) you already are reading with Gnus, and nnimap groups will
reside alongside your nntp groups.

Manipulating the emails in the nnimap group (reading, deleting,
forwardning etc.) will effect those emails on the IMAP server, as seen
by other Gnusen or other MUAs (though they will probably ignore the Gnus
specific marks).

> I also tried with the following, but it didn't solve the problems with
> marks.

> (setq gnus-select-method
> 	  '(nnimap "main"
> 			   (nnimap-address "mail.example.com")
> 			   (nnimap-stream ssl)))

On which machine?  Were you able to connect using this setup?  Did you
create groups on the server "main"?  You can go to the server buffer
(see the manual `C-h i m gnus RET' and then `i server buffer RET'),
enter the server with RET, and see all groups on that server and
subscribe them.

> So, any thoughts on my initial questions?

1. verifying certificates.  Depends on which ssl implementation you're
   using.  You can search this group for earlier issues with the same
   problem (position the cursor over this group in the Group buffer and
   do `G G' enter your search string and then RET).

2. I don't use mail sources, and haven't done so for 11 years, so no idea.

3. No idea.  I don't even understand what the problem is

4. I have never tried to persist the expiry mark.  When I've used it, it
   has been immediately been followed with running an expiration.  Also
   you don't say in which group this is.  Is it in a local mail group?
   Is it in an nnmailbox group on the server

* Re: IMAP-related questions
@ 2012-11-07  4:22       ` thorsopia
From: thorsopia @ 2012-11-07  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I have never tried to persist the expiry mark.  When I've used it, it
> has been immediately been followed with running an expiration.  Also
> you don't say in which group this is.  Is it in a local mail group?
> Is it in an nnmailbox group on the server

On the server.

* Re: IMAP-related questions
@ 2012-11-07  8:20         ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2012-11-07  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> I have never tried to persist the expiry mark.  When I've used it, it
>> has been immediately been followed with running an expiration.  Also
>> you don't say in which group this is.  Is it in a local mail group?
>> Is it in an nnmailbox group on the server

> On the server.

But you can't set marks on the server when using a mail source.

A mail source is just for pulling in email messages that is then managed
by groups using other, local, email backends (eg. nnmh, nnml, possibly
nnmailbox).

If you want to set marks on an IMAP server, you have to make nnimap
groups of the folders on the server.

* Re: IMAP-related questions
@ 2012-11-07 14:38           ` thorsopia
From: thorsopia @ 2012-11-07 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> But you can't set marks on the server when using a mail source.

Are you talking about the client?

I'm using the following:

(setq gnus-select-method
	  '(nnimap "main"
			   (nnimap-address "<MACHINE>")
			   (nnimap-stream ssl)))

> If you want to set marks on an IMAP server, you have to make nnimap
> groups of the folders on the server.

Could you provide more pointers?

New messages are stored in nnml:mail:misc by default (on the server). How
to redirect them to nnimap?

* Re: IMAP-related questions
@ 2012-11-07 15:20             ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2012-11-07 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> But you can't set marks on the server when using a mail source.

> Are you talking about the client?

Um... I'm not sure about your client/server terminology here, but if you
are using mail source in a Gnus installation, you pull email messages
into Gnus, for management by Gnus in local folders, not related to any
server.

> I'm using the following:

> (setq gnus-select-method
> 	  '(nnimap "main"
> 			   (nnimap-address "<MACHINE>")
> 			   (nnimap-stream ssl)))

Right.  This sets up Gnus to use an IMAP server, and to create nnimap
groups for folders on that server.  In this case, the messages live on
the IMAP server, and marks are set on the messages on the IMAP server.

(Note: this is _not_ using IMAP as a mail source)

>> If you want to set marks on an IMAP server, you have to make nnimap
>> groups of the folders on the server.

> Could you provide more pointers?

> New messages are stored in nnml:mail:misc by default (on the
> server). How to redirect them to nnimap?

You are running a Gnus installation on the machine that contains the
IMAP server?  And you are using an IMAP mail source here?

If so, then new messages are pulled from the IMAP server, and a copy of
them are stored locally under your home directory in an nnml group.
Nothing you do to messages in the nnml group will ever be seen on the
IMAP server.

However, if you create an nnimap server like you have on your client
machine, ie.
 (setq gnus-select-method
	  '(nnimap "main"
			   (nnimap-address "<MACHINE>")
			   (nnimap-stream ssl)))
and subscribe to folders on the nnimap server as groups in Gnus, then
both gnus installation will see the same messages and marks (or deletes)
done on one Gnus installation will be seen by the others.

To subscribe to the IMAP folders as groups, type `^' in the Group buffer
to go to the Server buffer.  In the Server buffer, locate the line
containing:
 {nnimap:main}

Then position the cursor on that line and press RET.

This will enter a "Browse Buffer" for your IMAP server, and there will
be one line for each folder on the server.  Press `u' over those folders
you would like to see as nnimap group, and type `q' to go back to the
Server buffer, and `q' once more to return to the Group buffer.

When you get back to the Group buffer your should see your new nnimap
groups.