From: Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: saving copies of the messages sent in Gnus
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 11:43:51 +0100	[thread overview]

>> Should we open an "mgnus" branch so that we don't lose patches like
>> this, perhaps?

> I don't want a branch, if anything, keeping up with two or more
> branches is hard (at least) to me.

FWIW git branches aren't as hard to work with as those of the other
version control systems I've experience with.

Actually, git branches are an essential part of a git based workflow.
One makes short lived branches to save a series of commits (ie. a
patch), and merge them right and left, and delete them when finished.

Several versions of patch branches are possible:
 - one branch per patch (which is a bit of clutter, but keep different
   patches in nice, isolated, side tracks.  The branches can be
   deleted, when the patches they contained are merged into the master
   branch)
 - an mgnus branch that can be used to collect patches

Though it may seem like creating a lot of clutter, to people unfamiliar
with git, I would actually recommend the first approach: store each
patch as a feature branch made from master, and push the branch to
git.gnus.org.

Afterwards it is much easier to pick up the changes from the feature
branch, than to collect a lot of patches floating around.  And the
feature branches can be deleted after they have been merged into master.