From: Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Modify hook in group parameters?
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 13:18:45 +0200	[thread overview]

> I don't know why it takes too much time though.

The check in is from May 2003, and one of the machines I was running on,
at that point in time, was the PII 233MHz machine with 128MB of RAM,
that is the same machine that hosts the imap server (a 1996 vintage DEC
PC 5000... still running... still hosting the imap server).

Another Gnus machine was a 1997 vintage DEC HiNote Ultra II, with 48MB
RAM.

Anyway, the machines used may have had something to do with the speed
issues. :-)

> This will work:

> (setq gnus-summary-prepare-exit-hook nil)
> (add-to-list 'gnus-parameters
> 	     '("\\`nnimap[+:]" (gnus-summary-prepare-exit-hook
> 				'(gnus-summary-expire-articles t))))

Hm... what does the backslash-quoted backquote at the start of the
rexexp mean?  My existing gnus-parameters entries all start with a "^"
(start of line).

Here are my existing gnus-parameters setting:
(setq gnus-parameters '(("^nntp\\+news\\.gmane\\."
			 (spam-process
			  ((spam spam-use-gmane))))
                        ("^no\\."
                         (mm-coding-system-priorities
                          '(iso-8859-1)))))

> This makes `gnus-summary-prepare-exit-hook' buffer-local in
> the summary buffer for only the nnimap groups.  `t' there means
> to run the global part of the hook, so you can use `add-hook' as
> usual to add functions that run for any groups.

Ah, interesting, and quite elegant.

So if I leave my current
 (remove-hook 'gnus-summary-prepare-exit-hook 'gnus-summary-expire-articles)
in place in your example, instead of setting it to nil, that should also
work?