* Ma Gnus v0.1 is released
@ 2012-01-31 16:59 Lars Ingebrigtsen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-01-31 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding-announce; +Cc: ding

The initial Ma Gnus release.  Nothing changed since No Gnus, other than
the name.

Get it by saying

  git clone http://git.gnus.org/gnus.git && cd gnus && git checkout m0-1

or download the release from

  http://git.gnus.org/cgit/gnus.git/snapshot/gnus-m0-1.zip

ChangeLog since last release:

2012-01-31  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen  <lars@ingebrigtsen.no>

	* gnus.el: Ma Gnus v0.1 is released.

2012-01-31  Lars Ingebrigtsen  <larsi@gnus.org>

	* gnus.el (gnus-version): Change name to "Ma Gnus".

  http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no  *  Sent from my Rome

* Re: Ma Gnus v0.1 is released
@ 2012-01-31 17:10 ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2012-01-31 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> The initial Ma Gnus release.  Nothing changed since No Gnus, other than
> the name.

Having always struggled to understand what "nognus" meant, I'm equally
confused as to what "Ma Gnus" is ;)

Is Ma Gnus a replacement for nognus for those of us wanting your latest
and greatest alongside, say, emacs 24 where the emacs 24 version of gnus
is frozen?

* Re: Ma Gnus v0.1 is released
@ 2012-01-31 17:38 ` Frank Haun
From: Frank Haun @ 2012-01-31 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> The initial Ma Gnus release.  Nothing changed since No Gnus, other than
> the name.

Thanks. Works like a charm!

And thanks to all developers. Can't live without Gnus. ;-)

Frank

* Re: Ma Gnus v0.1 is released
@ 2012-02-01  1:17   ` Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala
From: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala @ 2012-02-01  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:

> Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
>> The initial Ma Gnus release.  Nothing changed since No Gnus, other than
>> the name.
>
> Having always struggled to understand what "nognus" meant, I'm equally
> confused as to what "Ma Gnus" is ;)
>
> Is Ma Gnus a replacement for nognus for those of us wanting your latest
> and greatest alongside, say, emacs 24 where the emacs 24 version of gnus
> is frozen?

Richard,

IIUC Every new name (no gnus, Ma gnus ....) is kind of new  Major version
of gnus.

So if you want a
bleeding edge stick to the master.
stable version stick to the newest name (right now it is Magnus)

Please correct me if I am wrong

Yagnesh

* Re: Ma Gnus v0.1 is released
@ 2012-02-01  4:57     ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2012-02-01  4:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <yagnesh@live.com> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>>
>>> The initial Ma Gnus release.  Nothing changed since No Gnus, other than
>>> the name.
>>
>> Having always struggled to understand what "nognus" meant, I'm equally
>> confused as to what "Ma Gnus" is ;)
>>
>> Is Ma Gnus a replacement for nognus for those of us wanting your latest
>> and greatest alongside, say, emacs 24 where the emacs 24 version of gnus
>> is frozen?
>
> Richard,
>
> IIUC Every new name (no gnus, Ma gnus ....) is kind of new  Major version
> of gnus.
>
> So if you want a
> bleeding edge stick to the master.
> stable version stick to the newest name (right now it is Magnus)
>
> Please correct me if I am wrong
>
> Yagnesh

Thanks, I think I follow. But the thread on branching and versioning
hasnt really helped much - seems very confusing and I use git
daily. This new naming is a new thing I guess since nognus has been
around for as long as Ive been a gnus user. I posted up a follow up Q
about what MaGnus is compared to master but there hasnt been a reply as
of yet - apparently bug fixes go there but master is development.

Since I use el-get to sync packages including nognus I'm wondering what
exactly I should be cloning now in order to keep "up to date". Is nognus
history? Should I be cloning master or magnus or nognus?

* Re: Ma Gnus v0.1 is released
@ 2012-02-01  6:26       ` Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala
From: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala @ 2012-02-01  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:

> Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <yagnesh@live.com> writes:
>
>> Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Having always struggled to understand what "nognus" meant, I'm equally
>>> confused as to what "Ma Gnus" is ;)
>>>
>>> Is Ma Gnus a replacement for nognus for those of us wanting your latest
>>> and greatest alongside, say, emacs 24 where the emacs 24 version of gnus
>>> is frozen?
>>
>> Richard,
>>
>> IIUC Every new name (no gnus, Ma gnus ....) is kind of new  Major version
>> of gnus.
>>
>> So if you want a
>> bleeding edge stick to the master.
>> stable version stick to the newest name (right now it is Magnus)
>>
>> Please correct me if I am wrong
>>
>> Yagnesh
>>

> Thanks, I think I follow. But the thread on branching and versioning
> hasnt really helped much - seems very confusing and I use git
> daily. This new naming is a new thing I guess since nognus has been
> around for as long as Ive been a gnus user. I posted up a follow up Q
> about what MaGnus is compared to master but there hasnt been a reply as
> of yet - apparently bug fixes go there but master is development.

(This is my just my understanding sofar. I may well off by 200%)

It seems naming for gnus release has long history (gnus info manual
has History node).

In git sense you can think them as maint branches. Any critical fixes on
master(development branch) will be cherry picked to those maint branches.

> Since I use el-get to sync packages including nognus I'm wondering what
> exactly I should be cloning now in order to keep "up to date". Is nognus
> history? Should I be cloning master or magnus or nognus?

Since el-get recipe file 'nognus.rcp' is just pointing to the master(Its a
mistake I think) you don't need to care about all these namings at all.

Just `el-get-update' nognus will keep you "up to date"

--
YYR

* Re: Ma Gnus v0.1 is released
@ 2012-02-01 13:04 ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2012-02-01 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>   git clone http://git.gnus.org/gnus.git && cd gnus && git checkout m0-1

Just making sure about something.... No git skills at all so:

First I rename the existing `gnus' to gnus_old then:

Once the commands above have been done...
how would a user keep up with development...?

    `cd gnus; git pull'

Does not do like it used to, once the clone command has been run.

for example, in the `gnus' directory created by the `git clone [...]'
cmd above (from inside the gnus directory):

    If I run `git pull' I get this error

  WARNING: gnome-keyring:: no socket to connect to
  You are not currently on a branch, so I cannot use any
  'branch.<branchname>.merge' in your configuration file.
  Please specify which branch you want to merge with on the command
  line and try again (e.g. 'git pull <repository> <refspec>').
  See git-pull(1) for details.

But if I move to the old gnus directory now named gnus_old:

   cd ../gnus_old, here `git pull' works as expected

  git pull

  WARNING: gnome-keyring:: no socket to connect to
  Already up-to-date.

* Re: Ma Gnus v0.1 is released
@ 2012-02-01 13:36   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2012-02-01 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>> git clone http://git.gnus.org/gnus.git && cd gnus && git checkout m0-1

[snip!]
>   You are not currently on a branch, so I cannot use any
>   'branch.<branchname>.merge' in your configuration file.
>   Please specify which branch you want to merge with on the command
>   line and try again (e.g. 'git pull <repository> <refspec>').
>   See git-pull(1) for details.

m0-1 is a tag, not a branch.  That's why git tells you that you're not
on a branch.

To get the latest ma-gnus, cd to the gnus directory, and do
 git checkout master
 git pull

After this
 git pull
should work as it used to do.

* Re: Ma Gnus v0.1 is released
@ 2012-02-01 18:13   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2012-02-01 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 17:10:11 +0000 Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> wrote:

RR> Is Ma Gnus a replacement for nognus for those of us wanting your latest
RR> and greatest alongside, say, emacs 24 where the emacs 24 version of gnus
RR> is frozen?

Ma Gnus is the name of what you get in the master branch of the Gnus Git
repo.  No Gnus used to be it, but now No Gnus has been branched off master.

So before you had the commit history (branch names in *markers*):

A->B->C->D->*master* AKA No Gnus

Now you have

A->B->C->D->E->F->*master* AKA Ma Gnus

A->B->C->D->P->Q->F->*no-gnus* AKA No Gnus

Which means that they had a common history up to the branching point
after D, and some commits like F may be shared between the branches.

I strongly recommend the digitally free and excellent "Pro Git" book by
Scott Chacon, if you want to learn Git a little better.  It will help
make sense of branching, especially.

Ted

* Re: Ma Gnus v0.1 is released
@ 2012-02-01 22:02     ` Steinar Bang