From: Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: "No such article" error
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 12:11:10 +0200	[thread overview]

> Maildirs can't be rsynced IIRC.  You need to use a program that does it.

Sure you can rsync.  The --fuzzy flag is your friend:
 <nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.imap.dovecot/33313 >
 <http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.mail.imap.dovecot/33313 >

The problem for rsync, is that the file name is changed when the state
of the message is changed.  But the fuzzy flag looks for similar-looking
name and if everything else matches, takes it as the same file.

(FWIW you could always rsync.  rsync is pretty good at mirroring file
system hierarchies.  It just wouldn't neccessarily be efficient network
wise.  It would have to delete the file with the old file name, and
retransfer the new one, when a message's status is changed)

> I would just copy over IMAP--select all messages from group A and copy
> them to group B; repeat as needed.  That will preserve marks through
> IMAP and DTRT in general.

FWIW this is what I did when moving from cyrus to dovecot.  But
replicating the dovecot folders to a different machine (poor man's
backup), is done with rsync.

Using imap itself to replicate has the advantage that you can have two
live imap servers.  I don't think

> I don't use dovecot so I don't know if there's an easier way, sorry.

dovecot is pretty good: simple to install and configure, transparent
behaviour (i.e. information not hidden inside centralized obscure data
bases, but in well documented formats in users' home directories), and
cooperates well with mail filtering and processing software.

And yes... it is stable.  I haven't had a single hiccup since I started
using it.