* Selecting archive group depending on header fields ?
@ 1999-11-29 12:29 Olaf Jahn
From: Olaf Jahn @ 1999-11-29 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi folkes,

here a problem that's been bothering me for quite a while:

How can gnus (v5.6.65) choose the archive group for my
mails depending on the header fields (esp. To:)?

So far my outgoing messages are sorted by gnus-outgoing-message-group
via (message-news-p) into separate folders for news and mail, which is
not enough as I want my emails to certain recipients appear in the
same mail group I sort their mails/replies into (by nnmail-split-methods).

The problem is that gnus-outgoing-message-group is evaluated _before_
the message is written, so no reference to the not-yet-filled-out To:
or Cc: fields is possible. Perhaps some fiddling with
message-send-hook would do the job, like parsing the message and
adjusting the Gcc: header. Not being an elisp expert this would take
me quite a while to write (but hey, didn't I want to become more
proficient with elisp anyway?)

On the other hand it would be sufficient if there is a way to
automatically apply the nnmail-split-methods (or something similar) to
the archive messages. Now that I am thinking of it: I could archive
all my mail in a group like mail:temp and then respool it from time to
time in order to submit it to the splitting process. Still, sounds a
bit like a kludge.

Perhaps someone of you out there has come up with a better solution.

Olaf

--
Olaf Jahn                                      jahno@math.tu-berlin.de
                                  http://www.math.tu-berlin.de/~jahno/