* movemail dies on me.
@ 2003-08-27  8:00 Gaute B Strokkenes
From: Gaute B Strokkenes @ 2003-08-27  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

For some time now, I have occasionally had to deal with queries like
this:

  movemail:  (Drept return).  Continue? (yes or no)

popping up in my minibuffer when I hit `g' in the group buffer.
("Drept" is Norwegian for "killed".)  It doesn't happen every time,
just often enough to be severly annoying.  It seems that movemail
always dies _after_ it has done its job (moving everything from
/var/mail/gs234 to ~/.emacs-mail-crash-box,) so this is no more than
an annoyance.

Unfortunately I'm finding this rather hard to debug.  movemail is
suid so that it can manipulate my mail spool, and the intermittent
nature doesn't help either.  Is anyone else seeing this?

--
Gaute Strokkenes                        http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~gs234/
I just bought FLATBUSH from MICKEY MANTLE!

* Re: movemail dies on me.
@ 2003-10-17 19:14 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-10-17 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gaute B Strokkenes <biggaute@uwc.net> writes:

> For some time now, I have occasionally had to deal with queries like
> this:
>
>   movemail:  (Drept return).  Continue? (yes or no)

[...]

> Unfortunately I'm finding this rather hard to debug.  movemail is
> suid so that it can manipulate my mail spool, and the intermittent
> nature doesn't help either.  Is anyone else seeing this?

Haven't heard of anything like that before.

* Re: movemail dies on me.
@ 2003-10-17 20:13   ` Gaute B Strokkenes
From: Gaute B Strokkenes @ 2003-10-17 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17 okt 2003, larsi@gnus.org wrote:

> Gaute B Strokkenes <biggaute@uwc.net> writes:
>
>> For some time now, I have occasionally had to deal with queries
>> like this:
>>
>> movemail:  (Drept return).  Continue? (yes or no)
>
> [...]
>
>> Unfortunately I'm finding this rather hard to debug.  movemail is
>> suid so that it can manipulate my mail spool, and the intermittent
>> nature doesn't help either.  Is anyone else seeing this?
>
> Haven't heard of anything like that before.

It doesn't seem to happen anymore.  I'm guessing it was just a
temporary problem with the debian unstable distribution (I tried
several different emacses with their respective movemails, and it
didn't seem to be version dependent.)

--
Gaute Strokkenes                        http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~gs234/
Edwin Meese made me wear CORDOVANS!!

* Re: movemail dies on me.
@ 2003-10-17 20:22   ` Ted Stern
From: Ted Stern @ 2003-10-17 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17 Oct 2003, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Gaute B Strokkenes <biggaute@uwc.net> writes:
>
>> For some time now, I have occasionally had to deal with queries like
>> this:
>>
>>   movemail:  (Drept return).  Continue? (yes or no)
>
> [...]
>
>> Unfortunately I'm finding this rather hard to debug.  movemail is
>> suid so that it can manipulate my mail spool, and the intermittent
>> nature doesn't help either.  Is anyone else seeing this?
>
> Haven't heard of anything like that before.

I just started an emacs compiled for Linux that is otherwise identically set
as on my emacs compiled for Solaris 2.8.  I have mail-sources looking in an
incoming spool directory, and suddenly I get a message like this:

  movemail: No locks available for /users/stern/mail/incoming/lists.linux.spool (1 return).  Continue? (yes or no)

(not sure if that cut and paste worked ... the region is read only (?!) so I'm
copying it below.

movemail: No locks available for <myhomedir>/mail/incoming/somefolder.spool \
 (1 return).  Continue? (yes or no)

For me, this happens every time I try to read new mail.
--
 Ted Stern                                 Applications Group
 Cray Inc.                               office: 206-701-2182

 Frango ut patefaciam -- I break that I may reveal
 (The Paleontological Society motto, equally apropos for debugging)

* Re: movemail dies on me.
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-10-17 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Stern <stern+gnus@cray.com> writes:

>   movemail: No locks available for /users/stern/mail/incoming/lists.linux.spool (1 return).  Continue? (yes or no)

That sounds like a mis-complied movemail -- it's using a different
locking scheme than your MTA uses.  Probably.

* Re: movemail dies on me.
@ 2003-10-17 22:58       ` Ted Stern
From: Ted Stern @ 2003-10-17 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17 Oct 2003, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Ted Stern <stern+gnus@cray.com> writes:
>
>>   movemail: No locks available for
>>   /users/stern/mail/incoming/lists.linux.spool (1 return).  Continue? (yes
>>   or no)
>
> That sounds like a mis-complied movemail -- it's using a different
> locking scheme than your MTA uses.  Probably.

Fixed the problem.

I downloaded the CVS emacs, configured, and built the emacs/lib-src directory
with MOVE_FLAGS set to MOVE_FLAGS="-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -UMAIL_USE_FLOCK".  Then I
installed in a convenient place, customized mail-source-movemail-program to
that location.

This SuSE box was installed with postfix initially, but since I'm on a company
network, postfix was removed (leading to rpm conflicts) and another mailserver
was installed instead and so there may be some misconfigured mail delivery
handlers.  Plus the setuid/setgid thing might be an issue ...

Ted