From: Ted Stern <stern+gnus@cray.com>
Subject: Re: bug in message.el, message-forward-make-body-plain
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 11:15:39 -0800	[thread overview]

Thank you, Yamaoka-san, for your prompt response!  Comments below.

On 1 Dec 2004 at 00:19 PST, Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:

>> message-forward ignores message-forward-ignored-headers when the prefix
>> argument is non-nil.
>
>> To demonstrate: Change the value of message-forward-ignored-headers globally,
>
> [...]
>
>> Now enter any gnus group, and attempt to forward a message using
>>     C-u C-c C-f
>> Instead of removing all but 4 or 5 relevant headers, nothing is changed.
>> The same error occurs with
>>     M-4 C-c C-f
>
> I wrote the code for it, and then, I found a note when I was
> going to write the ChangeLog file.
>
> 2002-07-27  Simon Josefsson  <jas@extundo.com>
>
> 	* message.el (message-forward-make-body): Don't use
> 	`message-forward-ignored-headers' when doing a "raw" followup (it
> 	is important to preserve e.g. CTE).
>
> To forbid removing any headers will be overkill, however
> message-forward-ignored-headers contains CTE, such an important
> header, even now by default.  I think excluding CTE from m-f-i-h
> may not solve the problem.  It is because m-f-i-h is a user
> option and users can include any headers in it.  Any ideas?

The stated intent of Simon's change was to ignore
message-forward-ignored-headers with raw followups, not with forwarding.  So
his change, which affects forwarding as well as followups, looks like an
unintended bug, which apparently hasn't been objectionable enough to other
users to be found before now.  I guess I'm just picky.

Plus, the bug I describe above takes effect in
message-forward-make-body-plain, not message-forward-make-body.

The cases Simon addressed should be possible to differentiate using the prefix
argument, no?  Specifically, if the prefix indicates inline
   arg=nil and (message-forward-as-mime=nil or message-forward-show-mml=nil)
   arg=1
   arg=4
instead of rfc822 MIME.  Or am I still missing something?

C-c C-f runs the command gnus-summary-mail-forward
   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `gnus-msg'.
(gnus-summary-mail-forward &optional ARG POST)

Forward the current message(s) to another user.
If process marks exist, forward all marked messages;
if ARG is nil, see `message-forward-as-mime' and `message-forward-show-mml';
if ARG is 1, decode the message and forward directly inline;
if ARG is 2, forward message as an rfc822 MIME section;
if ARG is 3, decode message and forward as an rfc822 MIME section;
if ARG is 4, forward message directly inline;
otherwise, use flipped `message-forward-as-mime'.
If POST, post instead of mail.
For the `inline' alternatives, also see the variable
`message-forward-ignored-headers'.

Ted
--
 Ted Stern                                 Applications Group
 Cray Inc.                               office: 206-701-2182

 Frango ut patefaciam -- I break that I may reveal
 (The Paleontological Society motto, equally apropos for debugging)