* Dribble file getting huge
@ 2005-06-07 22:53 Gaëtan LEURENT
From: Gaëtan LEURENT @ 2005-06-07 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I read some local newsgroup with about 200 messages per day, and with no
expiration; my .newrc-servername.eld gets quite big (around 1MB) but
everything works fine. The problem is that I usually let my Gnus run for
weeks, and then the group informations are written hundreds of time in
the dribble file, which grows to hundreds of megabytes, and so emacs
eats that much memory and gets a lot slower ...

I don't want to set gnus-use-dribble-file to nil because that would be a
lot of trouble if Gnus crashes after a week. Is there any way to get the
benefits of the dribble file without this annoying memory problem ?

I tried
  (add-hook 'gnus-after-getting-new-news-hook 'gnus-save-newsrc-file)
  (add-hook 'gnus-after-getting-new-news-hook 'gnus-dribble-clear)
wich seems to work fine, but I'm not sure this really saves everything.

Maybe a solution would be to make gnus-dribble-enter smarter so that it
removes the old (gnus-server-set-info ...) before writing the new one ...

I'm using Gnus 5.11 in emacs CVS.

--
Gaëtan LEURENT

* Re: Dribble file getting huge
@ 2005-06-08 18:58 ` Ted Stern
From: Ted Stern @ 2005-06-08 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii, Size: 1504 bytes --]

On  7 Jun 2005 at 15:53 UTC-0700, Gaëtan LEURENT wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I read some local newsgroup with about 200 messages per day, and with no
> expiration; my .newrc-servername.eld gets quite big (around 1MB) but
> everything works fine. The problem is that I usually let my Gnus run for
> weeks, and then the group informations are written hundreds of time in
> the dribble file, which grows to hundreds of megabytes, and so emacs
> eats that much memory and gets a lot slower ...
>
> I don't want to set gnus-use-dribble-file to nil because that would be a
> lot of trouble if Gnus crashes after a week. Is there any way to get the
> benefits of the dribble file without this annoying memory problem ?
>
> I tried
>   (add-hook 'gnus-after-getting-new-news-hook 'gnus-save-newsrc-file)
>   (add-hook 'gnus-after-getting-new-news-hook 'gnus-dribble-clear)
> wich seems to work fine, but I'm not sure this really saves everything.
>
> Maybe a solution would be to make gnus-dribble-enter smarter so that it
> removes the old (gnus-server-set-info ...) before writing the new one ...
>
> I'm using Gnus 5.11 in emacs CVS.

These work for me.  Dribble never gets bigger than a few hundred bytes.

(add-hook 'gnus-summary-exit-hook 'gnus-dribble-save)
(add-hook 'gnus-after-getting-new-news-hook 'gnus-dribble-save)
(add-hook 'gnus-group-catchup-group-hook 'gnus-dribble-save)
(add-hook 'gnus-summary-exit-hook 'gnus-group-save-newsrc)

--
 Ted Stern
 Frango ut patefaciam -- I break so that I may reveal

* Re: Dribble file getting huge
@ 2005-06-08 20:58   ` Gaëtan LEURENT
From: Gaëtan LEURENT @ 2005-06-08 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Stern wrote on Sane 1, 1997:

> These work for me.  Dribble never gets bigger than a few hundred bytes.
>
> (add-hook 'gnus-summary-exit-hook 'gnus-dribble-save)
> (add-hook 'gnus-after-getting-new-news-hook 'gnus-dribble-save)
> (add-hook 'gnus-group-catchup-group-hook 'gnus-dribble-save)
> (add-hook 'gnus-summary-exit-hook 'gnus-group-save-newsrc)

Oh yes, gnus-group-save-newsrc does clear the dribble file, so it's
just fine.

Still, it would be nice to have a default gnus setting that prevent the
dribble file from getting too big ...

* dribble file getting huge
@ 2005-06-06 23:15 Gaëtan LEURENT