* general emacs question:  advising find-file
@ 2005-04-19 19:11 Ted Stern
From: Ted Stern @ 2005-04-19 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry, this is a general emacs question, but there are some find
defadvice programmers on this list.  I'll keep it short.

Is there a way to change the default "C-x C-f RET" so that it re-opens
the current file instead of the current directory?  What I want to do
is change the default find-file prompt to the current file.

Ted
--
 Ted Stern                                 Applications Group
 Cray Inc.                               office: 206-701-2182

 Frango ut patefaciam -- I break so that I may reveal
 (The Paleontological Society motto, equally apropos for debugging)

* Re: general emacs question:  advising find-file
@ 2005-04-19 19:51 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-04-19 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Apr 19 2005, Ted Stern wrote:

> Sorry, this is a general emacs question, but there are some find
> defadvice programmers on this list.  I'll keep it short.

Please ask in gnu.emacs.help or comp.emacs.

> Is there a way to change the default "C-x C-f RET" so that it re-opens
> the current file instead of the current directory?

Use `C-x C-v RET'.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: general emacs question:  advising find-file
@ 2005-04-19 19:56 ` Karl Pflästerer
From: Karl Pflästerer @ 2005-04-19 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19 Apr 2005, stern+gnus@cray.com wrote:

> Is there a way to change the default "C-x C-f RET" so that it re-opens
> the current file instead of the current directory?  What I want to do
> is change the default find-file prompt to the current file.

That's certainly easy possible but why don't you just use `C-x C-v'
(`find-alternate-file')?

   KP

* Re: general emacs question:  advising find-file
@ 2005-04-19 20:35   ` Ted Stern
From: Ted Stern @ 2005-04-19 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii, Size: 1091 bytes --]

On 19 Apr 2005 at 12:56 UTC-0700, Karl Pflästerer wrote:
>On 19 Apr 2005, stern+gnus@cray.com wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to change the default "C-x C-f RET" so that it re-opens
>> the current file instead of the current directory?  What I want to do
>> is change the default find-file prompt to the current file.
>
> That's certainly easy possible but why don't you just use `C-x C-v'
> (`find-alternate-file')?

I agree, that would be easier, but I have a question from a user who
has been using the old C-x C-f functionality for over 10 years and
doesn't want to relearn keystrokes.

The find-file function [specifically the "(interactive ...)" line]
changed sometime between Emacs 21.3 and Emacs 22.0.50.

Ted
--

@ 2005-04-19 20:45   ` Alan Shutko
From: Alan Shutko @ 2005-04-19 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Use `C-x C-v RET'.

That loses the location of point.  M-x revert-buffer is what it used
to do.

--
Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> - I am the rocks.