* Old marking with fetch-old-headers in big groups
@ 1996-01-15  8:30 Greg Stark
From: Greg Stark @ 1996-01-15  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have gnus-fetch-old-headers to t.

When I enter a group that has a lot of unread posts it asks me how many posts
to read.  If I only ask for some of them then it fetches only those plus the
extra old ones it needs to complete the threads.  It marks the extra ones as
O, old.  It also marks the read articles it fetched for the same reason as
old.  That's a problem.

I would like it not to treat these as the same.  I would like to read the old
unread articles, but not the old read articles.  I think what I want it to do
is to not mark the old unread articles at all.   If it is going to mark them
then I want them distinguishable from old read articles and I want some way to
tell the reading commands, N, P, and SPC to go to them.

Then if I ask for the last 10 or 20 posts I get the whole of any threads that
are still live.  It might also be interesting to be able to give a date in
answer to that prompt and have Gnus get articles back to that date.  Then we
could even have a variable to set to the default answer to that question,
ie. I can set it to by default get one days worth of posts plus
fetch-old-headers whenever I enter a big group I don't normally read.

--
greg

only message in thread, other threads:[~1996-01-15  8:30 UTC | newest]