* Odd subst-char-in-region in header parsing
@ 1998-05-17 18:19 Gregory S. Stark
From: Gregory S. Stark @ 1998-05-17 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Could anyone explain to me what the subst-char-in-region in
gnus-get-newsgroup-headers in gnus-sum.el is there for? It replaces tabs with
spaces in the nntp-server-buffer, which of course breaks the overview headers
badly. Is this only supposed to be run for non-overview headers? I don't get
it.

(defun gnus-get-newsgroup-headers (&optional dependencies force-new)
  (let ((cur nntp-server-buffer)
	(dependencies
	 (or dependencies
	     (save-excursion (set-buffer gnus-summary-buffer)
			     gnus-newsgroup-dependencies)))
	headers id id-dep ref-dep end ref)
    (save-excursion
      (set-buffer nntp-server-buffer)
      ;; Translate all TAB characters into SPACE characters.
      (subst-char-in-region (point-min) (point-max) ?\t ?  t)
      (run-hooks 'gnus-parse-headers-hook)

* Re: Odd subst-char-in-region in header parsing
@ 1998-06-01  3:37 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-06-01  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

gsstark@MIT.EDU (Gregory S. Stark) writes:

> Could anyone explain to me what the subst-char-in-region in
> gnus-get-newsgroup-headers in gnus-sum.el is there for? It replaces tabs with
> spaces in the nntp-server-buffer, which of course breaks the overview headers
> badly. Is this only supposed to be run for non-overview headers? I don't get
> it.
>
> (defun gnus-get-newsgroup-headers (&optional dependencies force-new)

[...]

>       (subst-char-in-region (point-min) (point-max) ?\t ?  t)

This function is only run on HEAD headers.