From: Greg Stark <gsstark@MIT.EDU>
Subject: Re: Me and my nnextern..
Date: 07 Nov 1997 02:11:22 -0500	[thread overview]

So what you want is not a new Gnus backend, but rather a new method for
sending mail and receiving mail.

The former is abstracted somewhat already, at my request though i have yet to
actually get around to writing proper posting support for my backend. Look at
message-send-method-alist.

The latter is the subject of discussion on this list already. We need some way
to specify a list of sources of mail which are separated from gnus somewhat.
Already we have pop3.el, movemail, procmail spools, and native mail spool
access. He needs a way to download his hotmail mail as well.

Personally i'm a fan of fetchmail, it supports more protocols than Gnus is
likely ever to and doesn't tie up my emacs (oh yeah, it's about that time
again for me to start advocating for an asynchronous backend interface). So I
don't have much of a personal stake in this line of development. But it does
seem to be something that needs to be done.

greg