From: Karsten Thygesen <karthy@kom.auc.dk>
Subject: Re: NNTP problem when posting - Bug?
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 19:22:10 GMT	[thread overview]

>>>>> "Karsten" == Karsten Thygesen <karthy@kom.auc.dk> writes:

Karsten> I have a problem with gnus talking to a Typhoon newsserver,
Karsten> and it appears, that gnus is not complying to RFC977 for
Karsten> posting.

Karsten> The problem is the "end of article" sequence, which is
Karsten> wrong. Here is the output of a snoop on the network:

Karsten>          752: 5843 770d 0a2d 2d2d 2d2d 454e 4420 5047
Karsten>          XCw..-----END PG 768: 5020 5349 474e 4154 5552 452d
Karsten>          2d2d 2d2d P SIGNATURE----- 784: 0a2e 0d0a ....

Karsten> So the article is terminated with

Karsten> -----\n.\r\n

Karsten> and it should be

Karsten> -----\r\n.\r\n according to RFC977

Karsten> Sometimes, gnus is doing "the right thing", so I'm a little
Karsten> confused about this. Is my assumptions correct?

After further investigation, I found out, that the right behavior
depends on whenever an article is terminated with a newline or
not. This is a bug.

Anyway - the nntp-encode-text method in nntp.el from qgnus solves the
problem, so how about in-cooperating this method in the next release of
gnus?

Best,
Karsten
who can post again :-)

--
M.Sc.E.E, Sys/Net-administrator, BOFH, Aalborg University, Denmark
http://www.kom.auc.dk/~karthy/ for more information.