* Can't enter nntp+winehq.com:wine.announce
@ 1999-01-18 18:11 Matt Simmons
From: Matt Simmons @ 1999-01-18 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm having troubles reading wine.announce via NNTP from winehq.com.
Other groups on that server (wine.patches in particular) seem to work
fine.  I get this error both when I try to enter from the Group
buffer, and when I try to enter from the Server buffer.  The backtrace
is from the latter.

*nntpd* contains only the following, which to my untrained eye (and a
cursory inspection of RFC 977) seems to be correct:

211 4 5 8 wine.announce

Here's the backtrace:

Signaling: (error "Couldn't enter nntp+winehq.com:wine.announce")
  signal(error ("Couldn't enter nntp+winehq.com:wine.announce"))
  cerror("Couldn't enter %s" "nntp+winehq.com:wine.announce")
  apply(cerror ("Couldn't enter %s" "nntp+winehq.com:wine.announce"))
  error("Couldn't enter %s" "nntp+winehq.com:wine.announce")
  (if (gnus-group-read-group nil no-article group) nil (error "Couldn't enter %s" group))
)
  (unless (gnus-group-read-group nil no-article group) (error "Couldn't enter %s" group))
)
  (if (or (not ...) (gnus-ephemeral-group-p group)) (unless (gnus-group-read-ephemeral-group group gnus-browse-current-method nil ...) (error "Couldn't enter %s" group)) (unless (gnus-group-read-group nil no-article group) (error "Couldn't enter %s" group)))
)
  (let ((group ...)) (if (or ... ...) (unless ... ...) (unless ... ...)))
)
  gnus-browse-read-group(no)
  (lambda nil "Select the current group." (interactive) (gnus-browse-read-group (quote no)))()
  call-interactively(gnus-browse-select-group)

Matt

--
     Matt Simmons  -  simmonmt@acm.org  -  http://www.netcom.com/~simmonmt
    I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because

* Re: Can't enter nntp+winehq.com:wine.announce
@ 1999-01-19 20:56 ` Hans de Graaff
From: Hans de Graaff @ 1999-01-19 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matt Simmons <simmonmt@acm.org> writes:

> I'm having troubles reading wine.announce via NNTP from winehq.com.
> Other groups on that server (wine.patches in particular) seem to
> work fine.  I get this error both when I try to enter from the Group
> buffer, and when I try to enter from the Server buffer.  The
> backtrace is from the latter.

Perhaps it should be noted that winehq.com suffered a major disk
problem in combination with a faulty backup. As far as I can tell from
the newsgroup stuff is slowly coming together again, but this could
very well be a real problem on the NNTP server, e.g. this one group
has not been restored. Have you tried to connect to the NNTP server by
telnet? Crude but a good way to find out where the problem lies.

Hans