* button3 and menu on MIME buttons
@ 1999-01-03 17:03 Matt Simmons
From: Matt Simmons @ 1999-01-03 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Could the menu key be bound to the popup menu attached to MIME buttons
in the same way that button3 is?  My laptop only has two buttons, and
Xsun doesn't support chording.

Matt

--
     Matt Simmons  -  simmonmt@acm.org  -  http://www.netcom.com/~simmonmt
       An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he

* Re: button3 and menu on MIME buttons
@ 1999-01-12  6:45 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-01-12  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matt Simmons <simmonmt@acm.org> writes:

> Could the menu key be bound to the popup menu attached to MIME buttons
> in the same way that button3 is?

What's a "menu button"?

* Re: button3 and menu on MIME buttons
@ 1999-01-13  5:37   ` Matt Simmons
From: Matt Simmons @ 1999-01-13  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Matt> Could the menu key be bound to the popup menu attached to
    Matt> MIME buttons in the same way that button3 is?

    Lars> What's a "menu button"?

One of Chairman Bill's keys on my keyboard (the one with a picture of
a drop-down menu with a pointer on it) generates the menu keysym.  It
seems to be bound by default to `popup-mode-menu'.  I don't know how
it's getting there, but it's not from xmodmap, and it's not from my
init.el (it's still bound in -no-site-file -no-init-file).

Matt

--
     Matt Simmons  -  simmonmt@acm.org  -  http://www.netcom.com/~simmonmt
       When I asked a visitor from London what he thought about American

* Re: button3 and menu on MIME buttons
@ 1999-01-13 13:51     ` Colin Rafferty
From: Colin Rafferty @ 1999-01-13 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matt Simmons writes:
> [...]

Lars> What's a "menu button"?

> One of Chairman Bill's keys on my keyboard (the one with a picture of
> a drop-down menu with a pointer on it) generates the menu keysym.  It
> seems to be bound by default to `popup-mode-menu'.  I don't know how
> it's getting there, but it's not from xmodmap, and it's not from my
> init.el (it's still bound in -no-site-file -no-init-file).

In XEmacs 21.0 "Poitou61", File x-init.el, function `init-post-x-win',
line 338, here's the binding:

    (define-key global-map 'menu	'popup-mode-menu)

I assume that your X server generates the `menu' keysym for that key.

--
Colin

* Re: button3 and menu on MIME buttons
@ 1999-01-13 14:37     ` Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1999-01-13 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars> What's a "menu button"?

MS> One of Chairman Bill's keys on my keyboard (the one with a picture of
MS> a drop-down menu with a pointer on it) generates the menu keysym.  It
MS> seems to be bound by default to `popup-mode-menu'.  I don't know how
MS> it's getting there, but it's not from xmodmap, and it's not from my
MS> init.el (it's still bound in -no-site-file -no-init-file).

This key is called [apps] on my emacs setup for NT.  C-h k [apps] tells
me that the key is undefined.  Thus, a simple
(define-key global-map [apps] 'my-function)
will set it to do what you like in emacs.

The next question, can I set it to mimic the behavior of mouse-2?  I only
have mouse-1 and mouse-3 on my machine.  I'd prefer doing this by some
mapping, rather than define-key for every mouse-2 operation I want to
mimic.

--
Jack Vinson <jvinson@chevax.ecs.umass.edu>    http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~vinson/
Zippy: Is something VIOLENT going to happen to a GARBAGE CAN?