I wrote a perl script that turns rdist output into a format suitable for emacs outline-mode. However, to kick XEmacs into outline-mode, I had to add Local Variables stuff to the end of the output. Much to my surprise, Gnus didn't eval the local variables stuff by default, so I set about making it do so. I had to make a modification to hack-one-local-variable in prim/files.el, since the default hack-one-local-variable is coded to expect a buffer associated with a file. This is obviously not the case with *Article*, so I added an if to check for buffers without files. I also had to add hack-local-variables to gnus-article-display-hook. My question is this: Does GNU Emacs use a different function for local variables evaluation? If so, could something like gnus-article-eval-local-variables be created that would call the appropriate function? I would write it myself, but I'm out of easy range of Emacs sources for the next week or so. Thanks Matt -- The difference between a bug and | a feature is documentation. | Matt Simmons -- Ben Duncan | simmonmt@acm.org bend@ali.intop.net |