From: Matt Simmons <simmonmt@acm.org>
Subject: Re: many articles
Date: 20 Sep 1998 19:12:02 -700	[thread overview]

    Phil> and when I needto do something with these really large groups, I
    Phil> bail on [x]emacs and go straight mh.  Then, I can always come
    Phil> back to xemacs later whenever I want.

    Kai> nnml is just like nnmh, only with .overview files ==> *much* faster!
    Kai> nnmh will need to read every file in the directory to assemble summary
    Kai> information, nnml just reads the .overview file.

This could be his problem.  Phil - what was the backend for the group
that caused your machine to eat itself?

Back in the (thankfully past) mists of time, when my XEmacs spool was
just over 10000 messages, I was using a 32M Intel machine to read my
mail.[1]  It never took more than 2 El stops (5-10 minutes) for it to
pop up the summary buffer.  This was with nnml.  Judging from your
other posts, and from the symptoms you described, it sounds like
you're still using nnmh.  You really really should consider
switching to nnml.  This is a reversible step if you decide that you
hate nnml.

Matt

Footnotes:
[1]  Of course, I also used the same machine, but with 16M, but I've
     tried to suppress that particularly painful memory.

--
     Matt Simmons  -  simmonmt@acm.org  -  http://www.netcom.com/~simmonmt
    You know when people see a cat's litter box, they always say, "Oh, have