I changed message.el such that message-default-mail-headers, message-default-news-headers, and message-default-headers can be a bit more flexible. Specifically, they can be: 1) A string - the string will be inserted as before 2) A function - the function will be evaluated, and the string it returns will be used as the headers to be inserted 3) A list - the list can contain strings and/or functions. They will be evaluated one at a time as in 1 and 2. The results of the evaluation will be concatenated and used as headers. I also took a crack at modifying the customization stuff for the three variables, but I don't know how successful I was. The motivation for this change? I need some way to insert the output from a random X-Face function I wrote (see my web page) along with the other default headers I set up. Matt -- Matt Simmons - simmonmt@acm.org - http://www.netcom.com/~simmonmt Television: A medium. So called because it is neither rare nor well done. --Ernie Kovacs