From: David Moore <dmoore@caida.org>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Enhanced virtual groups
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 09:05:16 -0700	[thread overview]

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:

> This is mostly a curiousity question. One of my colleagues was
> describing a feature of Evolution that he really finds useful: the
> ability to have virtual folders based on criteria more selective than
> gnus virtual groups (as I understand them).
>
> In particular, he has a virtual folder for "all mail less than 24
> hours old" and another for "all mail addressed to him".
>
> Anyone thought of implementing something like that in gnus? Or maybe
> it's already been done. Wouldn't be the first time :-)

I've been thinking about just this problem recently, and am likely to
modify nnvirtual to allow these sorts of things more easily/efficiently.
The poor man's way of doing some of it now is to have a big nnvirtual
group and using limiting to narrow things down.

I've also been thinking of adding "labels" which are sortof like more
generalized marks, ala gmail, and mixing that with nnvirtual also.

If people have nnvirtual ideas, now is a good time to mention them.

On my nnvirtual thought list:

1. combined nnvirtual with initial limit setting.
2. nnvirtual for `nnmail-split-history'
3. combined nnvirtual with various user pre-select functions
   (probably how 1&2 actually get done)
4. labels
5. redecide which marks copy and don't copy into and outof virtual
   groups back to the base groups, since new marks have been added
   since nnvirtual was last really touched.

-- david