* best setup for qmail and gnus
@ 1999-12-01  0:08 dave-mlist
From: dave-mlist @ 1999-12-01  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

OK, I've been fighting with my old qmail/procmail/gnus configuration
for too long, and now I'm ready to scrap the whole thing and start
anew.  I'd like to get rid of procmail completely.

I want to keep qmail separating my mail --- I get mail addressed to
dave-<something>@bfnet.com and qmail is smart enough to separate that
into a Maildir called ~/Mail/<something>/Maildir.

Next, I want gnus to slurp the mail out of Maildir.  Here is my
current test setup:

(setq mail-sources '((maildir :path "/home/dave/Mail/test/Maildir/new")))
(setq gnus-select-method '(nnml "private"))
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods nil)

Here are my questions:

0.  Can anyone out there using qmail and gnus send me thier config?

1.  What use is the string "private" in the gnus-select-method?

2.  Should I set mail-sources to a function that looks for
    ~/Mail/*/Maildir and returns a list of (maildir) sources with
    their various paths, or is there a better way?

Dave

* Re: best setup for qmail and gnus
@ 1999-12-01  2:48 ` Carsten Leonhardt
From: Carsten Leonhardt @ 1999-12-01  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: dave-mlist

dave-mlist@bfnet.com writes:

> I want to keep qmail separating my mail --- I get mail addressed to
> dave-<something>@bfnet.com and qmail is smart enough to separate that
> into a Maildir called ~/Mail/<something>/Maildir.
>
> Next, I want gnus to slurp the mail out of Maildir.  Here is my
> current test setup:
>
> (setq mail-sources '((maildir :path "/home/dave/Mail/test/Maildir/new")))
> (setq gnus-select-method '(nnml "private"))
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods nil)
>
> Here are my questions:
>
> 0.  Can anyone out there using qmail and gnus send me thier config?
>
> 1.  What use is the string "private" in the gnus-select-method?
>
> 2.  Should I set mail-sources to a function that looks for
>     ~/Mail/*/Maildir and returns a list of (maildir) sources with
>     their various paths, or is there a better way?

I subscribe to every mailing list with a unique mailaddress. I then
forward the mail from there to one Maildir, so that all mail sits in a
single place. All mail got stamped by qmail with a "Delivered-To:"
header on the way, which I use to split them up again.

Below is an example splitting rule plus the parts of my Gnus setup
relating to mail handling.

leo

;;;
;;; split mail using nnmail-split-fancy
;;;
(setq nnmail-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy)

(setq nnmail-split-fancy
      (list '| ;top
	    ;;; mailgroup splitting using extra addresses
	    ;;; for each list / mailgroup

	    ;; Debian Announcements
	    ;; [debian-announce@lists.debian.org]
	    (list "Delivered-To"
		  "leo-lists/debian-announce@arioch.oche.de"
		  "list.debian-announce")
[and on and on and on]

;;;
;;; Read Mail in Gnus
;;;
(setq message-send-mail-function 'message-send-mail-with-qmail)
(setq message-qmail-inject-program "/usr/sbin/qmail-inject")
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods `((nnml "")
				      (nnfolder "archive")))

(setq nnmail-spool-file '((maildir)))
(setq nnmail-message-id-cache-length 10000)
(setq nnmail-treat-duplicates 'warn)
(setq mail-source-delete-incoming nil)
; Put the "Incoming*" files here
(setq mail-source-directory "~/Mail/Incoming/")

;;; disable "builtin" nnfolder+archive, so my own nnfolder+archive
;;; will not conflict with it
(setq gnus-message-archive-method nil)

;;;
;;; Archive mails in nnfolders
;;;
(setq nnfolder-directory "~/Mail/archives")
(setq nnfolder-get-new-mail nil)

* Re: best setup for qmail and gnus
@ 1999-12-01 12:48 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-12-01 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

dave-mlist@bfnet.com writes:

> 1.  What use is the string "private" in the gnus-select-method?

It is a name used for displaying (and entering) group names.  Suppose
you wanted to separate work from other mail, then you could have the
same group on two servers, say nnml+work:foo and nnml+play:foo.

I just use the empty string, though, so I get group names like
nnml:foo.

Beware: I'm using nnml as a secondary select method; I'm not sure what
the group names will be when using a named primary select method.

kai

* Re: best setup for qmail and gnus
@ 1999-12-01 20:22   ` dave-mlist
From: dave-mlist @ 1999-12-01 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would rather have qmail split my mail than gnus.  One reason is
because qmail runs in the background, while I have to wait for gnus to
run in the foreground.  Another reason is that in my case, qmail
already knows how to split the mail, and I'd rather not have to tell
Gnus how to (that's redundant).

I have appended my .gnus file.  Notice that I have set two
mail-sources.  I would like these mail-sources to go into different
groups, preferably "test" and "misc".  Is there an easy way to do
this?

Dave

(add-hook 'gnus-group-mode-hook 'gnus-topic-mode)

; Put the "Incoming*" files here
(setq mail-source-directory "~/Mail/Incoming/")
(setq mail-sources '((maildir :path "/home/dave/Mail/test/Maildir/new")
		     (maildir :path "/home/dave/Mail/misc/Maildir/new")))
;(setq gnus-select-method '(nnml "private"))
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods `((nnml "")
				      (nnfolder "archive")))
(setq gnus-uncacheable-groups "^nnml")

(setq gnus-startup-file (concat gnus-directory ".newsrc"))
(setq nnmail-message-id-cache-file (concat gnus-directory ".nnmail-cache"))
(setq nnmail-treat-duplicates 'delete)
(setq mail-source-crash-box (concat gnus-directory ".emacs-mail-crash-box"))
(setq nnmail-message-id-cache-length 10000)
(setq mail-source-delete-incoming nil)

(setq gnus-visible-headers "^From:\\|^Subject:\\|^Newsgroups:\\|To:\\|Cc:")

(setq user-mail-address "dave@bfnet.com")
(setq system-name "bfnet.com")
(setq mail-host-address "bfnet.com")
(setq message-from-style nil)
(setq message-user-organization "Berkeley Fluent Network")

(setq nnfolder-directory "~/Mail/archives")
(setq nnfolder-get-new-mail nil)

(setq message-send-mail-function 'message-send-mail-with-qmail)
(setq mail-user-agent 'message-user-agent)
(setq message-qmail-inject-program "/home/dave/perl/qmail-inject-wrapper")