From: Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu>
Subject: Re: Anyone using Oort with XEmacs 21.4.6?
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 02:45:28 -0800	[thread overview]

Russ Allbery <rra@Stanford.EDU> writes:

> Sounds like I should investigate further and try to get a C core dump
> and then report it directly to the XEmacs folks.  If I have time I'll do
> that, but I'm not sure that I'll get a chance; I was seeing half-second
> delays whenever I cut text out of a font-lock buffer (such as a message
> in message mode) using 21.4.6, and that was so annoying that I would
> have probably rolled back to 21.1.12 anyway.  (Does anyone know if
> that's the font-lock problem alluded to somewhat mysteriously in the
> release announcement for 21.4.6?)

Figured out the delay; turns out it didn't have anything to do with
font-lock mode and instead had to do with the fact that new XEmacs
defaults to saving killed text in the X clipboard, which is painfully slow
and completely not worth doing (at least the way that I use Gnus).  A
simple:

(setq interprogram-cut-function nil)
(setq interprogram-paste-function nil)

takes care of it.

I'm back to using 21.4.6 full time, so I'll start watching for those
crashes again and try to get more debugging information if they happen.
They appear to coincide with the loading of byte-optimize, but don't
happen all the time.