* Unbundling of custom
@ 1997-09-22  9:03 Mark Hovey
From: Mark Hovey @ 1997-09-22  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

My own experience with Quassia Gnus 0.9: I have custom, unbundled from
gnus in its own subdirectory of ~/emacs.  My .emacs sets load-path so
that emacs sees this before its own 19.34 version of custom.  But of
course the makefile in gnus/lisp says to byte-compile using emacs -q,
which means emacs does not know about my version of custom.  So I
recommend writing something to scan for the latest version of custom (by
looking at the .emacs file and scanning directories in load-path),
then use that in byte-compiling.  This is basically what w3 does when
you run its configure program.

Of course, I can also edit the Makefile by hand, and maybe this is what
you have to tell people to do.

I understand the philosophical rationale for unbundling custom.  But in
terms of practical convenience, I think it is a mistake.
                   Mark Hovey

only message in thread, other threads:[~1997-09-22  9:03 UTC | newest]