From: Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu>
Date: 21 Jan 2000 19:24:22 -0800	[thread overview]

Didier Verna <didier@epita.fr> writes:

> Not that I know of. This idea also came to my mind a while ago.
> Ideally, you should be able to type u on a mailing-list group in order
> prepare [un]subscription to the associated mailing list. However, the
> design of such a feature should be though of carefully as the
> [un]subscription methods vary greatly in the universe (on earth,
> particularly).

This would be truly cool, though.  And given some of the amazing things in
Gnus already, I'll be ambituous and ask for the moon.  :)

 * Parsing of the common list confirmation requests so that Gnus can
   prepare the response with a single command.  Including LISTSERV
   periodic ping messages and the like.

 * Parsing of the various List-* headers to enable automatic commands
   like "send help message," "send unsubscribe message," and the like.

 * Parsing of the subscription notice to stash away details like what
   address you're subscribed to the list under (and automatically send
   mail to the list using that address, when you send mail inside the list
   group), what address to mail to unsubscribe, and the list info message
   if available.  Hitting the "get FAQ" command inside a mailing list
   group should display that stashed copy of the info message.

 * Some help in coming up with good split rules for mailing lists, as
   automated as possible.  Splitting on To and Cc is almost always not
   what I want, since it can misfile messages and since if I'm cc'd on
   list mail I want to get both copies, one in my personal mailbox and one
   in the list mailbox.  I know other people handle it other ways, but I
   prefer it that way.  Accordingly, some way to semi-automatically
   generate split rules based on Sender, Mailing-List, Return-Path,
   X-Loop, and all of the other random headers that often work would be
   very cool.

--
Russ Allbery (rra@stanford.edu)         <URL:http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>