* spam.el binds too many keys to `gnus-summary-mark-as-spam'
@ 2008-03-30 12:00 Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-03-30 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: ding

Hi,

`gnus-summary-mark-as-spam' is bound to M-d, S x, and M s x.  What a
waste of key bindings!  ;-)

(gnus-define-keys gnus-summary-mode-map
  "St" spam-generic-score
  "Sx" gnus-summary-mark-as-spam
  "Mst" spam-generic-score
  "Msx" gnus-summary-mark-as-spam
  "\M-d" gnus-summary-mark-as-spam)

I think each command (gnus-summary-mark-as-spam and
spam-generic-score) should have only _one_ binding by default.  If the
user wants a shorter one, (s)he can always use the user-reserved keys
(Emacs: `C-c [A-Za-z]', Gnus: `v ...').

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: spam.el binds too many keys to `gnus-summary-mark-as-spam'
@ 2008-03-31 14:09 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-03-31 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gnus

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 14:00:10 +0200 Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> wrote:

RS> `gnus-summary-mark-as-spam' is bound to M-d, S x, and M s x.  What a
RS> waste of key bindings!  ;-)

RS> (gnus-define-keys gnus-summary-mode-map
RS>   "St" spam-generic-score
RS>   "Sx" gnus-summary-mark-as-spam
RS>   "Mst" spam-generic-score
RS>   "Msx" gnus-summary-mark-as-spam
RS>   "\M-d" gnus-summary-mark-as-spam)

RS> I think each command (gnus-summary-mark-as-spam and
RS> spam-generic-score) should have only _one_ binding by default.  If the
RS> user wants a shorter one, (s)he can always use the user-reserved keys
RS> (Emacs: `C-c [A-Za-z]', Gnus: `v ...').

I think those keys were chosen by consensus because several people liked
different bindings.  I think `S x' should be the default, and
Mst/Msx/M-d should go away, but I really don't have strong feelings for
any of those key bindings.  I use C-s personally, FWIW, because it's
such a useful operation.

Ted

* Re: spam.el binds too many keys to `gnus-summary-mark-as-spam'
@ 2008-04-01  8:44   ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2008-04-01  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> I think those keys were chosen by consensus because several people
> liked different bindings.  I think `S x' should be the default, and
> Mst/Msx/M-d should go away, but I really don't have strong feelings
> for any of those key bindings.  I use C-s personally, FWIW, because
> it's such a useful operation.

I use $.

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: spam.el binds too many keys to `gnus-summary-mark-as-spam'
@ 2008-04-20 12:32     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-04-20 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, Apr 01 2008, Johan Bockgård wrote:

> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> I think those keys were chosen by consensus because several people
>> liked different bindings.

If we'd use this policy ("several people like different bindings"), we
will end up with no available bindings very soon.

>> I think `S x' should be the default, and Mst/Msx/M-d should go
>> away, but I really don't have strong feelings for any of those key
>> bindings.  I use C-s personally, FWIW, because it's such a useful
>> operation.

Thinking more about it, I think that the `S ...' bindings are
completely misplaced.  All other `S ...' are replying/posting related.

| (gnus-define-keys gnus-summary-mode-map
|   "St" spam-generic-score
|   "Sx" gnus-summary-mark-as-spam
|   "Mst" spam-generic-score
|   "Msx" gnus-summary-mark-as-spam
|   "\M-d" gnus-summary-mark-as-spam)

> I use $.

Me too.  ;-)

But I'm talking about the default key bindings which also occupy
bindings for users not using `spam.el' at all.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,

@ 2008-04-21 16:46       ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-04-21 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gnus

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 14:32:05 +0200 Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> wrote:

RS> On Tue, Apr 01 2008, Johan Bockgård wrote:
>> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>>> I think those keys were chosen by consensus because several people
>>> liked different bindings.

RS> If we'd use this policy ("several people like different bindings"), we
RS> will end up with no available bindings very soon.

I was not proposing that policy, only reminiscing.

>>> I think `S x' should be the default, and Mst/Msx/M-d should go
>>> away, but I really don't have strong feelings for any of those key
>>> bindings.  I use C-s personally, FWIW, because it's such a useful
>>> operation.

RS> Thinking more about it, I think that the `S ...' bindings are
RS> completely misplaced.  All other `S ...' are replying/posting related.

RS> | (gnus-define-keys gnus-summary-mode-map
RS> |   "St" spam-generic-score
RS> |   "Sx" gnus-summary-mark-as-spam
RS> |   "Mst" spam-generic-score
RS> |   "Msx" gnus-summary-mark-as-spam
RS> |   "\M-d" gnus-summary-mark-as-spam)

>> I use $.

RS> Me too.  ;-)

RS> But I'm talking about the default key bindings which also occupy
RS> bindings for users not using `spam.el' at all.

My point about C-s was that most users will bind it to something shorter
quickly.  I really don't have any attachment to the current bindings.

Maybe `,' (comma) would work?  I could get used to `,,' (comma + comma)
for gnus-summary-mark-as-spam, and `,=' (comma + equals) for
spam-generic-score.  I don't know the Emacs + Gnus conventions, though,
so this may be a bad idea.

Ted

* Re: spam.el binds too many keys to `gnus-summary-mark-as-spam'
@ 2008-04-21 17:06         ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-04-21 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Mon, Apr 21 2008, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

> Maybe `,' (comma) would work?

comma is already taken: gnus-summary-best-unread-article

@ 2008-04-23 17:58           ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-04-23 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 19:06:27 +0200 Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> wrote:

RS> On Mon, Apr 21 2008, Ted Zlatanov wrote:
>> Maybe `,' (comma) would work?

RS> comma is already taken: gnus-summary-best-unread-article

>> I could get used to `,,' (comma + comma) for
>> gnus-summary-mark-as-spam, and `,=' (comma + equals) for
>> spam-generic-score.  I don't know the Emacs + Gnus conventions,
>> though, so this may be a bad idea.

How about a single quote as the prefix:

'' gnus-summary-mark-as-spam
'= spam-generic-score

If that's not good, can you think of something please?

Ted