From: Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>
Subject: Re: posting-charset abolition
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 21:38:57 +0900	[thread overview]

> On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, yamaoka@jpl.org wrote:

>> Gnus always puts the ``Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit'' header

> Forgive my ignorance, but I don't understand why CTE: 8bit needs to be
> removed for 7bit encodings.  Does the 7bit CTE save bits or processing
> time when the message is delivered (my understanding is that this used
> to be the case long ago, but today very few active MTAs use 7bit)?
> Does the 8bit CTE somehow distort any of the current 7bit encodings?
> If the answer to both questions is no, maybe it's best to leave the
> CTE at 8bit.

You are right.  Putting CTE:8 to 7-bit articles is absolutely
harmless.  However, it is closely reminded of vicious MUAs
rampant all over the world.  Possibly they became better than
ancient times, though.  (In old days, Japanese mails were in a
wretched condition.)  Although this is no more than a personal
matter of taste, it is worthwhile to delete an excessive header,
isn't it?

rfc1521.txt:
  Content-Transfer-Encoding header field is not present.

So, I want to do that if it is not a burden on Gnus.
--
Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>