From: Adrian Lanz <lanz@wsl.ch>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: mm-default-directory not honoured
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2010 09:46:54 +0100	[thread overview]

    > Adrian Lanz <lanz@wsl.ch> writes:
    >> The user should be prompted for "<directory>/<filename>", not
    >> just "<directory/". The reason is, that this way a user can
    >> easily change the filename, if needed, not only the directory
    >> name.

    > I may be misremembering how this works, but doesn't `M-p' give you
    > the directory and file name so that you can edit it?  I think
    > that's how all these file prompting commands are supposed to work
    > these days...

That's right, a lot is improving these days... That's great. Many thanks
for this ,and for this hint. But, it seems, M-p prompts for previously
used filenames, not for the (current default) name of the file in which
the MIME part should be copied.

My work case is the following: I often just want to slightly modify the
name of incoming mail attachments. Say, some draft document is sent
out. Revisions come in from many people, all (most) under the original
file name of the draft. In such cases, I used to add initials or numbers
(or whatever) to filenames to keep the different versions of the
modified document in the same directory. Until recently, I think, Gnus
did prompt for the <directory>/<filename> and it was easy to change both
by just editing the string in the mode line. In general, this option is
(was) useful in cases where the default filename needs to be (slightly)
changed (based on the default filename).