From: John H Palmieri <John.H.Palmieri.2@nd.edu>
Subject: Re: Gnus v5.6.35 is released
Date: 14 Aug 1998 15:26:01 -0500	[thread overview]

I'm having some problems with Gnus v5.6.35:

1. Start emacs, start gnus with 'M-x gnus'.  Here's the resulting
*Messages* buffer:

  Symbol's function definition is void: gnus-get-buffer-create

I think the problem is

(eval-when (load)
  (let ((command (format "%s" this-command)))
    (if (and (string-match "gnus" command)
	     (not (string-match "gnus-other-frame" command)))
	(gnus-splash)
      (get-buffer-create gnus-group-buffer))))

gnus-splash calls gnus-get-buffer-create, which hasn't been loaded in
yet.

--------------------------------

2. Start emacs, load gnus.elc manually, start gnus with 'M-x gnus'.
Everything starts up as it should, so I read news for a bit, then quit
with 'q'.

   Are you sure you want to quit reading news? (y or n)

If I hit 'y', then it saves my changes, but doesn't kill the *Group*
buffer.  The problem may be with the variable gnus-buffers; after
starting gnus, opening one group, reading one article, then quitting
that group, gnus-buffers looks like:

#<buffer *Group*> is absent from this list.  Indeed, it isn't even in
the list immediately after starting gnus.

--------------------------------

2a. If I then select a newsgroup (which I probably shouldn't do, since
I've quit gnus), it says

   Wrong type argument: listp, 317222

(The number changed depending on the group.)

--------------------------------

3. Start emacs, load gnus.elc manually, start gnus with 'M-x gnus',
quit with 'q', then run gnus again with 'M-x gnus'.  I am told:

  Checking new news...
  Checking new news...done
  No news is no news

This is patently false: I know that I have unread messages in some
mail groups.

--
John H. Palmieri, Visiting Assistant Professor
Department of Mathematics, University of Notre Dame