* nnir/imap and mark
@ 2011-01-31 19:19 Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-01-31 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nognus

If I do an nnir search on my imap inbox and then mark (!) a couple of
the search results it would be nice if that is remembered in the real
inbox.

,----
| ! runs the command gnus-summary-tick-article-forward, which is an interactive
|   compiled Lisp function in `gnus-sum.el'.
`----

* Re: nnir/imap and mark
@ 2011-01-31 19:31 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2011-01-31 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> If I do an nnir search on my imap inbox and then mark (!) a couple of
> the search results it would be nice if that is remembered in the real
> inbox.

Is this git gnus?

If so, do `A T' to warp a result and its thread to the folder it comes
from.

Then you can set persisting tick marks until your heart's content.

* Re: nnir/imap and mark
@ 2011-01-31 19:38   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-01-31 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

>> If I do an nnir search on my imap inbox and then mark (!) a couple of
>> the search results it would be nice if that is remembered in the real
>> inbox.
>
> Is this git gnus?
>
> If so, do `A T' to warp a result and its thread to the folder it comes
> from.
>
> Then you can set persisting tick marks until your heart's content.

Thanks for the workaround. It would be nice if you didnt have to
remember that however.

cheers

r.

* Re: nnir/imap and mark
@ 2011-01-31 21:39     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2011-01-31 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Thanks for the workaround. It would be nice if you didnt have to
> remember that however.

I fail to see how the `A T' command is a workaround for anything.  `A T'
is how you navigate from the search results to what the result is
pointing to.

It's like clicking on a link in the results of google search.

* Re: nnir/imap and mark
@ 2011-01-31 21:47       ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-01-31 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> Thanks for the workaround. It would be nice if you didnt have to
>> remember that however.
>
> I fail to see how the `A T' command is a workaround for anything.  `A
> T'

Really?

In each and every other client I have used (admittedly not gnus) if you
do a search in a group then the commands on the subset are the same as
the full set. Why is that not possible in Gnus?

Combine that with ! actually marking the result articles and it's quite
obviously confusing. You're arguing the case of how it is, not
necessarily how it could be.

> is how you navigate from the search results to what the result is
> pointing to.

And why?

> It's like clicking on a link in the results of google search.

Except this is not a www search linking to stuff all over the www. Its a
subset of a single group from a single mail backend.